Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 05 March 2015, 01:06:51 PM
There are no gods, there are no demons, there are no ghosts, there are no goblins, there is one life and this is it so beloved let us love one another because this is the only sodding chance we'll get!
If your imaginary friend helps get you through the day that's great but your belief in them is not an excuse to be horrible to those who don't or to insist that others behave in a way you think your imaginary friend approves of!
And seriously, what is wrong with people who judge others based on the amount of melanin in their skin rather than on their words and deeds?
A country is NOT great just because YOU were born in it!!
Corrupt individuals are like weeds, always going to be there but that's no excuse not to get out the weed-wacker on a regular basis!
Politics should be a service not an occupation, the world will not seriously improve until politicians and their families are restricted to the mean income and forced to use only public services.
Corporations are not necessarily spawn of the devil but corporate group-think leads otherwise moral people to do incredibly wicked and/ or stupid things - weed-wacker time again!
Who on earth responds to telephone cold calls? Can we find out, round them up and lock them up for the good of the species? If no-one took up these offers the problem would stop almost overnight!
The message is more important than punctuation, the latter is there to serve the former not the other way round!
Smile and be happy ... it's worth it just to piss off the permanently grumpy :)
There, I think that covers the major stuff. Minor stuff as it occurs to me :D

Only wrong on one particular point, Ithoriel.

There ARE goblins !
Trust me.....I've made/converted enough of the wee chaps.  X_X ;)
Cheers - Phil  :)

Leman

You don't believe in goblins.........erm.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

I know someone who does, though.  X_X
Cheers - Phil

DanJ

I don't know about goblins but hobgoblins deffinately exist and keep giving me really bad headaches.

Web forums which don't have spell checkers.

QuoteDanJ. 'Fairy Tale of New York'?? Nah, the bloke has the singing voice of a stunned badger. Greg Lake for me.

People who disadgree with Me, I hates 'em my precious

Caravans

Wargamers who think a dozen 28mm figures with a couple of flags is a reasonable representation of a battalion.

Rules that thing 8" is a reasonable range for a pistol shot in a 28mm skirmish game (the bl00dy roads are wider and buildings taller than that)

People who think it's cute when their ratterdale or other small dog keeps trying to bite my hound, if I let the Mut act like that there would be a storm of complaint.

Caravaners who have small dogs

Subedai

The phrase 'Do you see what I am saying'??? What the heck is that nonsense? 'Can you hear what I am saying' is logical but how the hell are you supposed to 'see' peoples words?

People who use 'like' in nearly every sentence -another Americanism that unfortunately managed to leap the Atlantic.

People who make every sentence into a question because their voice goes up at the end.

Constant use of internet acronyms. try writing in whole words for a change!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

DanJ

People who start a sentence "I don't want to be funny but...."

And then are not at all funny, but are very rude.

getagrip

Quote from: DanJ on 05 March 2015, 04:09:19 PM
People who start a sentence "I don't want to be funny but...."

And then are not at all funny, but are very rude.

The twin of "no offence" when they are being highly offensive!
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Nosher

Teenagers

People who dial 999 for an ambulance and have the temerity to tell you in a feature-length monologue that last a good twenty to thirty minutes without pausing for breath that "You took your time, blah, blah, blah."

And then are so Ill that they dont actually want to go to hospital and would prefer to be left at home with advice to actually try and make a doctors appointment for their life-threatening mystery illness that they have had for the past twenty years, which is the same today as it was last week and was two months ago and hasn't changed but they just wanted to be 'checked out' at 4am in the morning in the middle of nowhere fifty miles from civilisation.

I think I need an ambulance as I'm short of breath now!  ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Luddite

People who say 'on a daily basis'.  Its lazy and redundant verbiage.    >:(

People who say 'sexed up' about anything not involving sex.

People who say 'enormity' when they mean 'enormousness'.

>:(

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Bodvoc

Ok...here goes...

I hate my neighbours 3 legged dog that barks at unearthly hours every night.

I hate people who push in ahead of me in queues.

I hate queueing (and I probably can't even spell it).

I hate drivers who see you coming but still pull out in front of you and then go really slow.

I hate crowds of noisy people

I hate skiing

I hate cold calls, the whole lot of em need shooting, who on earth thinks I want to do a survey as soon as I get home from work, morons the lot of em!

I hate skiing because it's always so crowded and full of noisy sweaty people.

I hate Eastenders because all they ever do is shout at each other, I've been married for over 20 years and my wife and I have never shouted at each other once. Eastenders is banned in our house.

I hate tomatoes, yeuk!

I hate Chelsea football club.

...but I love apple crumble and custard!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: Nosher on 05 March 2015, 04:44:48 PM
People who dial 999 for an ambulance and have the temerity to tell you in a feature-length monologue that last a good twenty to thirty minutes without pausing for breath that "You took your time, blah, blah, blah."

I'll bet I've made more 999 calls than the rest of the forum put together. :P
It WAS part of my duty in the exchange, where I worked, mumble, mumble years ago, to make sure the 999 circuits were working OK.

Typical call was "Emergency....Which service do you require ?"
"It's Phil, downstairs in TXE4 (That dates it !)...just testing."
"Thanks, Phil.....Click!"

Subedai

Quote from: Techno on 05 March 2015, 05:21:02 PM
I'll bet I've made more 999 calls than the rest of the forum put together. :P
It WAS part of my duty in the exchange, where I worked, mumble, mumble years ago, to make sure the 999 circuits were working OK.

Attention seeker!  :D
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 05 March 2015, 05:21:02 PM

I used to program TXE4 exchanges,  and before anyone asks -  I AM NOWHERE NEAR AS OLD AS TECHNO!!!
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson