Klear in UK

Started by Fenton, 23 August 2011, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Having just moved back to the UK and fiinshing off my bottle of Pledge one go from Oz I was wondering if its still available here...I heard rumours on various sites about the formula being changed so it doesnt work anymore...Is this true of is Klear with Future shine the same old stuff?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Dickie255

Hi Fenton

You could also try your local pound shop. Check this thread for further info. on magic washes http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1591.0

Fenton

thanks for your replies...I have just heard so many people complaining about the new Klear I am just not sure wether to try it or try the Lakeland stugg

Nirnman

can definitely vouch for the astonish floor polish as substitute for Klear

SV52

Currently using the new version of Klear and experiencing no problems whatsoever, couple of quid from Asda.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Wulf

I'm still using a bottle I bought years ago - needs a very long-handled brush to reach now though...

Leman

Was Lakeland stugg designed for the possible German invasion of the far north-west of England?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

It was the German version of the DUKW I believe

fsn

01 October 2013, 09:10:56 AM #10 Last Edit: 01 October 2013, 09:13:20 AM by fsn
No, no, no! Lakeland Stugg (or more properly Sir Lakeland Stugg) was a renown act-or and director of stage and screen. He was born in 1888 and died in 1976. Originally called "Stagg", he changed his name to "Stugg"  to "protect my family from my fame".  

As a young man he wowed Edwardian audiences with his vivid portrayals of Shakespearean heroines citing his belief that the Bard himself used no female actors and he Stugg was imbued with the spirit of the great writer. His Cordelia was acclaimed as "the most innovative portrayal of a young woman seen on stage in this locality" by the Blackburn and Darwin Weekly News - though admittedly the reporter was some distant blood relation.

During WWI he was rejected for military service. In his memoirs ("Why can't you see it my way?", published in 1968), Lakeland recalls that the country demanded he continue his entertaining as "one of my performances was worth a division." Prosaically, army records suggest it was more due to his predilection for female dress and the histrionics of his medical that caused the board to reject him as "mentally and emotionally unstable".  Still, he toured the front line of the Naval War with a series of patriotic shows in seaside towns such as Lowestoft and Yarmouth. Lakleland later wrote that he was due to tour troops on the continent but the Kaiser had personally directed that a U-boat sink his ferry, and France was alive with spies ready with dagger, pistol and bomb to "strike down Britain's greatest asset."

Post war, Stugg pounced on the burgeoning film industry. He made a series of short films in which he reprised his favourite Shakespearean soliloquies. To ensure that audiences got the best from his on-screen performance, he also recorded the speeches on gramophone, so arguably inventing the talkies. Certainly, Stugg thought so.

He soon tired of this sport, for his soul cried out for the approbation of the crowd. He formed a travelling company of exclusively young, male actors and toured England widely. His choice of program was eclectic and often changed on his whim.  Audiences expecting "Hamlet" were treated to "What Mrs Mopp Did" and a crowd in Tewkesbury who bought tickets to see "Up at the Front" were given "Henry IV" parts 1 and 2. His declared his company would go international. This tour consisted of a week in Edinburgh, during which he engaged an interpreter, and an run aborted in Cardiff when he was apparently startled by some Welsh writing.  

When war was declared in 1939, Stugg offered the services of his company to the country, but was enraged when his principle lead and half the rest of his troupe were conscripted. He was offered some female actors as replacements, but refused the offer and took to his bed. This sulk lasted until 1958, when he was inexplicably offered a role in "Carry on Sergeant." He refused the role, something he was later to regret, but the offer reignited his interest in film. During the sixties he made the "Man up ... " series of films, again using all male casts. As the progressive decade progressed, the "Man up ... " series became more progressive, until the set was raided by the police and Stugg narrowly escaped a stiff prison sentence.

He reinvented himself again as a radio star, and was often heard on panel programs such as "What's a chap to do?" giving advice to young men, and taking character roles in popular series "the Goons", "Round the Horne" and "The Navy Lark".  He famously had a spat with Kenneth Williams who he accused of copying the immaculate Stugg mannerisms.

He was knighted in 1964, the year in which Ambrose Farnwell was expected to receive an honour after his painting "Lakeland Stag" was so well received.

In his later years he wrote his memoirs and also began re-writing his beloved Shakespeare. His Romeo and Juliet had and ambiguous ending in which Romeo is revived by Tybalt and they "exit, stage left, arm in arm". His  MacBeth saw the demise of Lady Macbeth early on in the play, allowing MacBeth and Duncan to become firm friends.

He died in 1976. His last words were apparently "bugger, I can't think of anything to say."      
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Quote from: Fenton on 30 September 2013, 11:24:19 PM
It was the German version of the DUKW I believe
Was it prone to catching fire?

Leman

Only if it had arrived on the Mersey or the Thames.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The one in Albert dock, (not allowed on river) sank, it didn't catch fire. second or third time I understand. Given that the current on the Mersey in Liverpool is about 6 knts, a DUKW coun't cope.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Maenoferren

Bloody stupid living on an island ...grrrrr nowhere stocks it up here... they will deliver it at great cost >:(
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!