Warband Point Calculator

Started by Saigancat, 15 February 2022, 11:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saigancat

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aRaA5W3CtVgAFU67V-tjpMOPJ7c2zBNkkhLmkDskDus/edit?usp=sharing

Boom.

There are a couple of odd inconsistencies in the official unit lists but my reverse-engineered point calculator works 99% of the time and when it doesn't work it is darned close. Enjoy :)

Leon

Great work, that must have taken some time!  I've been meaning to do similar for the BKC rules but haven't found the time yet.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Saigancat

Quote from: Leon on 16 February 2022, 04:36:53 PMGreat work, that must have taken some time!  I've been meaning to do similar for the BKC rules but haven't found the time yet.

It was a very slow work day  ;)

Raider4

I've done a similar thing for both "Tanks" and "Victory at Sea" in the past. Starts off as an interesting exercise, quickly degenerates to drudgery and frustration.

Big Insect

Having a go at BKC IV would be a great exercise, as I've been using a 'back of a fag packet' mental calculation on it (& CWC) as we never got the calculator from Pete when things were passed over.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

Quote from: Big Insect on 18 February 2022, 02:34:11 PMHaving a go at BKC IV would be a great exercise, as I've been using a 'back of a fag packet' mental calculation on it (& CWC) as we never got the calculator from Pete when things were passed over.

I remember asking him for it at the time and his reply was that there wasn't one!  He said he'd always used a similar 'mental estimation' method when he put the original lists together.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Big Insect

I'm not much good at the reverse engineering math thing myself, I'm afraid.
I tried using the FWC unit calculator but the answers came our wildly more expensive when applied to BKC & CWC.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fred.

QuoteI remember asking him for it at the time and his reply was that there wasn't one!  He said he'd always used a similar 'mental estimation' method when he put the original lists together.
This will make reverse engineering quite hard then!

I suppose its about finding some method that gets pretty close to current points in most cases, and where there are differences people are happy that the calculator is right more than the guesstimate method
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Ok - had a go a BKC points!

This is a first pass just looking at Tanks, but seems to broadly work, except for tankettes which it significantly over points.

Formula is
Move +
( AP Shots x AP Range / 8 ) +
( AT Shots x AT Range / 6 ) +
( Close Assault x 5 ) +
Hits / ( Save -1 / 6) x 6
+ Specials

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Big Insect

I agree about the tankettes - bearing in mind generally useless most were  :D

fred.

My formula puts tankettes quite a bit higher (c 20pts) than the book lists. Which feels like its the wrong direction. I suspect I am over pointing movement, and under pointing shooting 

If anyone has a spreadsheet of the stats that would help a lot, rather than me having to copy them from the army lists!

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 24 February 2022, 07:43:17 AMIf anyone has a spreadsheet of the stats that would help a lot, rather than me having to copy them from the army lists!

Shoot me an email about that, I'm sure I've got them in spreadsheet format for the upcoming army builder.