Cavalry questions

Started by fsn, 30 August 2021, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

I think we can now agree that the WRG lists included some wishful thinking and liberal interpretations form art.
The one friends and I still chuckle about is (I think another East Asian army).

"Classed as regular since the wall sculpture depicts them marching in step".

It must get pretty boring composing 400+ lists.
The temptation to add a bit of variety to each one (I'm thinking of all the "Dark/Migration age Germanic tribes) must be hard to resist.

Otherwise 90% of lists would be.
200 Tribesmen.
12 nobles either on horses or with better armour.

Let's do Indian Chariots next.
Several sacred poem cycles, one battle against Alexander and a selection "deity on cart" sculptures.

Big Insect

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 23 September 2021, 11:11:32 AM
Several sacred poem cycles, one battle against Alexander and a selection "deity on cart" sculptures.

Indeed ... also lots of semi-naked/completely naked young ladies in various 'interesting' poses on assorted sculptures as well - but none in chariots as far as I am aware  :D

or

the effectiveness of super weapons - such as Roman anti-elephant wagons/carts - for example
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

"Classed as regular since the wall sculpture depicts them marching in step".

Yes, not possibly to do with sculptors banging out clones for ease and speed of production :)

I don't have the skill to read original sources but my understanding is that we have enough evidence of chariots to be certain they existed. States short of elephants, in particular, seem to have relied on chariots as a cheaper alternative.

I also believe at least one text suggests that if horses are in short supply, oxen can be substituted as chariot draught animals. Not sure how you represent that in DBA terms.

Even the much maligned Sumerian battle cars weren't reduced to employing "battle cattle" as draught animals!! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

23 September 2021, 11:44:10 AM #33 Last Edit: 23 September 2021, 11:47:15 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 23 September 2021, 09:13:29 AM
Ooh! The Polish 'Hussars' have never been a field of interest... but, having googled, WOW! Some boys!
Any idea if Dye was 'to conform' to unit... or for 'extravagant effect'... colours?

Probably henna, for flamboyant chestnut red effects. As far as uniformity goes, it would be difficult to assemble enough greys to get everyone mounted that way. But uniform pennants in a unit, and possible cloaks, look acceptable from contemporary Polish paintings.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

Quote from: Ithoriel on 23 September 2021, 11:28:10 AM

Even the much maligned Sumerian battle cars weren't reduced to employing "battle cattle" as draught animals!! :)

I must admit I thought they were pulled by squids - or should that be equids!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Big Insect on 23 September 2021, 12:25:12 PM
I must admit I thought they were pulled by squids - or should that be equids!

Onagers ... I thought they were invented by the Romans .... presumably they catapulted the battle cars into the action? ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data