Vaccination requiremnt for show attendance ?

Started by Orcs, 04 June 2021, 12:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Just read  an email from GMT Games. They are planning a Games convention at thier warehouse in October.  Obviously depending on any restrictions that may be in force at the time  They are seriously considering making it "open only to fully vaccinated attendees."

I wonder if we will see this at shows in the UK, particularly when the vaccine is available to all adults.

Or even clubs specifying full vaccination if you want to attend.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

I wouldn't be surprised.  

All adults are scheduled to have the offer of the jab by the end of July and unless there is a compelling reason not to, it seems to me, notwithstanding that protection, like the flu jab, is relative, that having it is not only sensible, but the responsible thing to do too.  

If people want to attend large public events, even clubs, I think that asking them be fully protected seems perfectly reasonable.  Those who choose not to may, I think, find themselves excluded from a lot of things.  

Having taken all necessary precautions over the past 18 months and avoided COVID so far, and had the two jabs on offer, the last thing I want to do is to catch it from somebody who hasn't.

What I want to know is this.  Can you get COVID from an Orc? ;D

Poggle

A concert venue in Florida is charging $15 entrance fee for vaccinated attendees and $100 for non-vaccinated. It's something other organizations are looking at doing.

Big Insect

One of the big challenges is around people with allergies apparently, and who have been advised not to have the vaccine.

A couple of the vaccines are egg based (so grown in egg white medium) and if you are seriously allergic to eggs (as my sister is) - she has been advised not to have these.
I think that the single dose vaccine might not be egg based but not sure on that.

So it's not as straight forwards as people just refusing the vaccine or ignoring it.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 04 June 2021, 01:55:02 PM
What I want to know is this.  Can you get COVID from an Orc? ;D

Apparently only if your intimate - So you should be ok John  :)

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: Big Insect on 04 June 2021, 02:41:47 PM
One of the big challenges is around people with allergies apparently, and who have been advised not to have the vaccine.

A couple of the vaccines are egg based (so grown in egg white medium) and if you are seriously allergic to eggs (as my sister is) - she has been advised not to have these.
I think that the single dose vaccine might not be egg based but not sure on that.

So it's not as straight forwards as people just refusing the vaccine or ignoring it.

If you have a problem like an allergy to the vaccine (or its components) I can understand that you are unable to have it. Being unable to have it for a genuine reason is very different to refusing to have it.

In the same way as vaccinated people have tended to carry round their vaccination card, perhaps those who are genuinely unable to have it should be given a Medical card confirming that they are unable to have the vaccine. Thus putting them in the same category of those who have had it.

If I were attending a show or other venue   i would be willing to accept the risk from someone who cannot receive the vaccine, as I suspect that they would have behaved responsibly and be trying to avoid infection by taking the required precautions

I would be less than happy taking the risk from someone who would not have the vaccine because they were "anti-vac" or whatever as if they cannot behave responsibly by having the vaccine I am not willing to trust that they are behaving responsibly and taking the correct precautions either.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Orcs on 04 June 2021, 02:55:18 PM

In the same way as vaccinated people have tended to carry round their vaccination card, perhaps those who are genuinely unable to have it should be given a Medical card confirming that they are unable to have the vaccine. Thus putting them in the same category of those who have had it.

What is this 'vaccination card' you mention. I have had both jabs and the Scottish community authorities have that on record. There are no plans to issue an additional document.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Glorfindel

> What is this 'vaccination card' you mention..

Might be something that just happens in England.   After my first vaccination, I was given a 'credit sized' card with details of the
jab date and type etc written on.   Details of the second vaccination were then added later.

Something to cling on to !

(I was also given a sticker each time which I'm stupidly proud of...)    :D

Phil

Raider4

I have the card, but not the sticker :(

Wife got the sticker. :(:(

Feeling left out now :(

Poggle

My wife and I were given postcard size vaccination records and an enamel badge with a 'Rosie the Rivetter' nurse logo for completing the course. Some people are laminating the cards for constant use. Of course as my wife says, the record cards are stupidly easy to forge.

Leon

It'll be interesting to see what they decide must happen for the events.  The 'fully vaccinated' requirement will be hard to enforce for some time yet as a lot of people won't have had theirs.  Hammerhead is planned for July 31st but I won't get my 2nd jab until 13th August so I won't be classed as fully safe until the end of Aug.  For the under-30 crowd they may not get full coverage until Oct potentially.  And this is all in the hope that new variants don't kick up and force us into further lockdowns.

If the government decide to go down this route then they'd have to supply some kind of confirmation system to validate your ticket.  Larger events would be able to pay for this service, but smaller wargames shows probably wouldn't, leaving it to the organisers to deal with.  I'm not sure about other shows, but the last thing I want to do is stand out the front of our venue potentially having arguments with people about whether they're vacced or not.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Quote from: Glorfindel on 04 June 2021, 04:33:18 PM
> What is this 'vaccination card' you mention..

Might be something that just happens in England.   After my first vaccination, I was given a 'credit sized' card with details of the
jab date and type etc written on.   Details of the second vaccination were then added later.

Something to cling on to !

(I was also given a sticker each time which I'm stupidly proud of...)    :D

Phil

I didn't get a sticker!

The English vaccination card is pretty similar to the appointment cards you get at dentists etc

I wouldn't regard it as any kind of official document.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

04 June 2021, 06:48:47 PM #12 Last Edit: 04 June 2021, 06:52:22 PM by Orcs
Quote from: jimduncanuk on 04 June 2021, 03:29:52 PM
What is this 'vaccination card' you mention. I have had both jabs and the Scottish community authorities have that on record. There are no plans to issue an additional document.

When I got my first jab I was given a card the sise of a credit card with my name on. They added the date of the fist jab, the vaccine and the batch number. I was told to bring this for the second jab and they again added the vaccine, batch number and the date.

I keep it in my wallet and it proves I have had both jabs.

Yes it is easy to forge, but perhaps if venues are going to go down this route (and it looks like some are even unnoficially) they will have to bring out something more suitable.

Could always issue some form of certificate from your medical records.

John Cook

04 June 2021, 06:51:34 PM #13 Last Edit: 04 June 2021, 07:00:30 PM by John Cook
Quote from: jimduncanuk on 04 June 2021, 03:29:52 PM

NHS England issued all people who received the jab with a credit card-sized card showing the name of the vaccine, the batch number and the date it was given, updated with details of the second jab when you received it.  Similar details to those on the yellow International Certificate of Vaccination you got when you had a Yellow Fever and Cholera jab to enable you to travel to foreign parts, but a handier size, and specific to COVID.  I could fake both on my PC quite easily I think. 

Genom

I was told by the nurse giving me my Jag (Scotland), that there would be no vaccine passport because it would be too easy to forge a bit of card with some writing on it.

Which means that the main issues are trusting people... and trusting people... This may seem very negative but the fact that the advice given was that we'll ease restrictions but you need to be responsible and the R number has gone through the roof again probably says it all. Most shows I've been at would have serious issues being able to operate with social distance and proper cleaning in operation. Never mind the fact that there's often something akin to a scrum going on round some stalls.  I'm glad i'll have had my second by the time we get round to Carronade, but even at this stage we have no idea what kind of restrictions we might need to have in place, if we are allowed to go ahead with our booking.