The Move Pics and Updates!

Started by Leon, 28 March 2021, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Showed Mrs Orcs the pictures, and she said she is very impressed they can build things that are not in 10mm.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Matt J

Sorry to labour a point but please tell me there is something more substantial than that stud wall (which looks 2x2 timber) supporting that mezzanine (like a steel or something).

Matt (also does building)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Leon

Quote from: Matt J on 02 April 2021, 08:24:52 PM
Sorry to labour a point but please tell me there is something more substantial than that stud wall (which looks 2x2 timber) supporting that mezzanine (like a steel or something).

There's three existing walls around it, so we've got fixings into masonry on two sides, an upright metal  and a metal girder running through the back of the new room.  The new stud work at the front is 3x2 CLS with OSB board on it, and we've reduced the studs and joists down to 450mm centres to give extra strength throughout.  There won't be much weight up there either, it's going to be my office so it's desks and computers mainly.  Luckily we've got a retired council planning officer doing the timber work for us so he's keeping us on track with the building regs requirements and making sure we're doing it properly.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leon

Today was more timber work and starting the painting of the workshop, which took a lot longer than we expected!  Breeze blocks soak up paint like you wouldn't believe!  We're over the worst of it now so we should be able to ge the rest of it done tomorrow.

So...

The stairs have been boxed in now so they look a bit safer to get up and down!

BoxedInStairs by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The top of the end wall has been painted white, again covering this awful pastel mustard colour that was everywhere in the unit.

PaintedTopWall by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The plasterboard has gone over most of the front walls now, just a little gap to fill and then the windows can go in.

Plasterboard2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And I spent most of the day up on the 1st floor getting the floorboards laid and fixed down.  There's just a final row to do down the end there now.

UpstairsFloor by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Saturday will be mainly painting in the workshop, and I need to return the scaffolding tower that we've been using. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

=D> =D> =D> =D>

More impressive progress :)

I hope you've managed to address Matt J's concerns for the safety of that mezzanine, "3x2 CLS with OSB board on it" means nothing to this antipodean, "450mm centres" makes sense ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

John Cook

Quote from: Leon on 02 April 2021, 10:26:54 PM
Breeze blocks soak up paint like you wouldn't believe! 

Same with brickwork and new plaster.  Seal them with a solution of PVA and water.

DHautpol

Very impressed with the speed of progress.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished premises.

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

I think that "Awful pale mustard" is what used to be called Buttermilk.

A once popular tome of masonary paint M'lud.
Favoured in the days when white didn't cover well, or the original surface had several contrasting colours.

Consider it an undercoat that'll show you the bits you've missed.

Leon

Today's been all painting work, so we've got the workshop walls finished off and also painted the floor in what will be the moulding room.

WhiteWalls by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

MouldingFloor by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And then I did a quick fix on the roof where the old heater was, as the flue had fallen off while the guys were removing it.  The 'Upside Down Bucket' method will keep the water out until after the Easter weekend and we can get a professional in.

RoofTempFix by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Good use of static grass in that exterior picture.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

No pics today but we got the floorboards finished upstairs and painted the outer edge of the workshop floor, so that we can put the racking/tables on it while we do the rest of it.  Tomorrow we need to get the plasterboard and stud walls finished ready for the electrics to be finished off on Wednesday and the carpets to go in on Thursday.  I think we're going to miss out on painting the rooms all pre-carpet so we'll just have to cover them properly and paint afterwards.

We also spent a few hours today casting and prepping a load of orders, so there's about 40 orders going out in Tuesday's post and then another batch on Thursday.  We're trying to keep things ticking over as much as we can as we need the orders to keep coming in while we get through all of the moving costs.