MG armed French FT-17

Started by Terry37, 17 January 2017, 04:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: JeffNNN on 18 January 2017, 06:34:17 PM
But in the earlier period the Brits were camouflaged. I'm inclined to think a key factor for the Germans changing was their loss of air superiority, that's when you really need to hide.

I remember attending a lecture on this very subject.  Camouflage, whatever pattern or amount of foliage means zero once a tank/AFV starts to move.  The dust/smoke generated betrays position.  Always.

Early German WW2 tactics (this thing called Blitzkrieg) demanded a vast about of movement and dash. And yes,  air superiority helped.
As the war progresses, the armour - be it tanks or more usually the infantry supporting Sturmgeschutz lay up in defensive positions and these tactics dictated better paint and camouflage disciplines.   In the Italian campaign the Brits report Assault Gun crews were adroit at backing into a building and using its semi demolished state to camouflage their vehicle.

We used to get really pissed off with accompanying armoured troops in the BAOR.  We would have a well cammed position on the reverse slope, alterative firing points prepped ....and then some Rupert in a Smoky Joe would fire up that Leyand multi  fuel  .   Compromised or what ?  8-} X_X

Terry37

I've applied the base coats, and see a few touch-ups still needed in the picture, but that's a nit and so now I'll hit it with a light wash, and grunge the tracks, let all of that dry (which takes about 12 hours since I use an extender in my washes) and then I'll hit the highlights and any details needed, and get it ready for the decals.

That is a good idea about going about painting the heart isnignia, but then I got to looking at it and the heart is only going to be about 1-2 MM or so in size. So I am looking at modifying a tiny round, red dot decal to resemble a heart and seeing how it might work.

More to follow,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Steve J

Roy

Got to say that it looks good. I wouldn't have thought so, with those colours, but it does.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Terry37

I have finished the Renault and it is ready to base.

I have to share that what fun it was making the diamond heart insignia for the turret - took the better part of an afternoon! The white diamond was really pretty simple as I just cut a corner out of a red cross decal and turned it on it's point. The heart, that's a different story as it is only 1 MM in size. I used some small red dots I have for pre-war American insignia and tried cutting it into the heart shape. After I ruined 8 of those red dots I decided to try a different approach. I used white paint and painted the red dot to look like a heart and that worked pretty good, but I wasn't sure how the decal would work after I put paint on it. So, I cut the painted decal out and it went on fine. I am very please with the results.

I'll show this again after I've done the base. My plan in is to have it crashing through some barbed wire on a shell pocked section of No-Man's Land.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Terry37

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have found the various and numerous Pendraken models of armor and walkers to be so accommodating for conversions, and great fun to paint up. In forth coming armies I will be doing an A7V, a German captured Whippet, some Hungarian and French light walkers, a British heavy walker, a British hover A/C, and a German and French Uberpanzer and a Char de Combat de Super. For me some very exciting conversions that I am very much looking forward to doing!

Terry

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Here's the finished and based FT17 for my American Weird WWI army. Great fun creating it.

You can see the full army under the "Non Pendraken" section.

Terry