30th Birthday Bash Report & Pics

Started by Leon, 20 July 2022, 10:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

20 July 2022, 10:20:34 PM Last Edit: 21 July 2022, 01:27:31 PM by Leon
This past weekend was our 30th Birthday Bash and what a fantastic day it was!  Around 60-70 people descended on Pendraken HQ to play some games, buy some toys and eat some pizza! 

The weeks leading up to the big day had been spent getting our new games room ready, so walls had been knocked out, new doors and carpets had been fitted and then only two days before the Bash we managed to get the game tables finished. 

GameRoom by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The tables were soon put to good use with some excellent games on show, across various scales and periods.  We even had a 7th game which we put outside underneath a gazebo, which turned out to be the coolest location of the day I think!  We've added pictures below of all of the games and I'd like to say a huge thank you to all of the clubs/individuals who gave up their free time to come along and join in the birthday fun.

Outside1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

We were also running workshop tours throughout the day and approx. 25 people came through to see how we turn a sculpt into a metal casting, as well as our laser machine and 3D printing setups.  There were a lot of interesting questions asked and each group went away with something cast by a volunteer from their ranks.

At lunchtime we'd arranged pizzas for everyone along with a birthday cake, expertly attacked by Dave with his knife. 

Cake1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Cake2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Cake3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Shop1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The games and tours continued throughout the afternoon and things started to closedown at about 4:30pm.  The whole day was a ton of fun from our end, loads of people, a great atmosphere and just nice to be able to chat with folks and show them around.

Before we move on to the photos of the games, I just want to say thank you to every single person who has ever bought something from us, whether it was a pack of bases or several armies (you know who you are!)  By choosing to spend a bit of your hobby budget with us, you've allowed us to grow steadily into the full-time business we are today.  To be around for 30 years in any industry is an achievement, but to be able to survive so long, and continue to expand, in this hobby is all thanks to you and your support. 

On a more personal level, as some of you may know I took over the day-to-day running of Pendraken 13 years ago in mid-2009.  At that point it was just a few family members, working out of Dave's garage, selling through a rather limited website with no photos, and attending shows with a more traditional 'things on tables' tradestand.  But we had a fantastic group of loyal customers who had loved our figures for years and were willing to come on a bit of a journey with us. 

13 years ago I made a list of things that I wanted Pendraken to achieve.  A lot of these have been accomplished over the years, such as better websites, wider product ranges, a professional show stand, more efficient processes, taking on staff, etc. 

But the big goal was always to have somewhere big enough for us to have our own shop and gaming space.  I don't really know why but the idea of having a proper shop that people could come visit and play some games, somewhere that could become part of the local community and give something back to those loyal customers, felt like a big deal to me. 

To finally be here now, with our own premises and the security that comes with it, is incredible.  Looking back at where we started out as a part-time hobby business, albeit 30 years ago, is unbelievable at times.  And we are only here because every cog in the Pendraken machine has pushed us forward over those decades.  That includes all of you as our customers and friends, it includes the staff and sculptors who get these little figures into your hands, the show organisers, the magazines/websites that have featured our products, the friends who've given advice, the people who've helped on our show stand.

So to all of you from me, thank you.

Now that all being said, there's still a lot to do to finish my tick list!  We need to finally get all of the products photo'd on the website, there's a lot more of your requests to get sculpted, we've got rulesets to publish, new ranges to release, a games room to fill and loads more.  So I hope you'll all continue along this road with us and let's see what we can achieve by our 40th birthday!

Right then, after all of that, let's get on to the games!

First up we've got a 10mm Spanish Civil War game by the Border Reivers / Northumbrian Painting Services.  This one was Pendraken figures using the Libertad supplement for Blitzkrieg Commander.

10mmSCW1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmSCW2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmSCW3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmSCW4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmSCW5 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Next the Old Guard Wargames Club brought along a Seven Years War game showing the Battle of Teplitz.  Again this was Pendraken figures and the Honours of War rules. 

10mmSYW1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmSYW2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmSYW3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

We had one more 10mm game with the Border Reivers / Under the Bed Painting Service bringing along a WWII table pitting the French vs Germans in a race to the channel.  This one was using the TooFatLardies' 'O' Group rules.

10mmWWII1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmWWII2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmWWII3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

10mmWWII4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The fourth game in our new games room was a 15mm WWII game put on by Durham Wargames Group, again using the TFL 'O' Group rules.

15mmWWII1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

15mmWWII2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

15mmWWII3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

15mmWWII4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

In the shop we had a 28mm Baron Wars game put on by the Prince Bishops Wargames Club.

28mmBaron1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmBaron2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmBaron3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmBaron4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

In the yard area we had our gazebo and the first of our participation games, as the Redcar Ironbeards put on a 28mm Fantasy game using the Dragon Rampant rules. 

28mmFantasy1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmFantasy2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmFantasy3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmFantasy4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmFantasy5 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And back in the shop the Brompton Bankers had brought a 28mm Wild West participation game using Eureka Teddy bears!  My youngest lad loved this one and was at this table for most of the day!

28mmWildWest1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmWildWest2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmWildWest3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmWildWest4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

28mmWildWest5 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

All looks truely fabulous.
2 10mm games at Leighton Buzzard tonight, mine will be on my blog tomorrow, hopefully.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

A report on the Antipodean game played to mark the 30th Birthday Bash can be found here https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21859.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Antioch

Thanks for the pictures & descriptions. Lots of inspiration there.. :)

Bob

Steve J

What a great day out and some lovely games on show there. Sadly too far away for me, aside from the fact that I had Covid at that point. Here's looking forward to the 40th birthday celebrations (which means I'll be close to 70 by then :o !)

fred.

Looks like it was a great day - and it was unfortunate I was over in the NE the week before, so couldn't make it!

Great to read the 30 year recap of Pendraken - a lot to be proud of there! And doesn't time fly, can't believe its 13 years since Leon took over running Pendraken  :o

A real good mix of games too - and all looking good. One little nitpick, I do wonder if the 28mm Fantasy was using different rules to Frostgrave, as the figures seem to be in units - perhaps Dragon Rampant?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DecemDave

Wonderful day and great write up. I lurked a bit in Discord.
Tables confirmed my prejudice that 28mm = great for skirmishes and 10mm = great for battles.

Could you get something into the wargaming mags? 

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

I enjoyed dipping in and out through the day on Discord, was nice to see the tables in action. Looks like a good day was had.

T13A

Well done and Congatulations, just wish you were a bit nearer to Somerset!

=D>  :-bd  =D> 

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Raider4

Aye, 'chapaeu' to all involved at Pendraken, both for the day and the 30 year journey.

One little nitpick, I do wonder if the 28mm Fantasy was using different rules to Frostgrave, as the figures seem to be in units - perhaps Dragon Rampant?
Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that. 12 man infantry units, 6 man cavalry? Definitely not Frostgrave, looks like a Rampant variant. As you say, probably Dragon.

Just set my OCD twitching.

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 21 July 2022, 08:17:10 AMOne little nitpick, I do wonder if the 28mm Fantasy was using different rules to Frostgrave, as the figures seem to be in units - perhaps Dragon Rampant?

Quote from: Raider4 on 21 July 2022, 12:38:13 PMDefinitely not Frostgrave, looks like a Rampant variant. As you say, probably Dragon.

Yep, my mistake there!  The Redcar guys were originally doing 28mm Stargrave and then changed to Fantasy, so my brain just switched that straight to Frostgrave.  Dragon Rampant it was!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sunjester

Looks like a great day with some excellent games. Congrats of a superb achievement.

What is frightening is that I can remember having a stand next to Dave and chatting to him when he had just started the business up, I'm not sure where (in my head I think it might have been Shrewsbury or Reading). Mind you, they way my memory is now it might have been Timbuktu for all I know!

Ben Waterhouse

What a spiffing day! Here's to your next 30!
Arma Pacis Fulcra