Frostgrave Figures and Buildings

Started by Roy, 19 December 2015, 12:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

paulr

Looking good, would be better if the rubble was brick ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

Thank you both.

Yes, I will admit to there being some artistic inconsistencies. It is nice and colourful, though  ;D
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Roy

Progress On The DIY 28mm Ruins

What I've got painted, so far.

Possibly not evident from the photo's is that the external and internal walls are two differing colours.
I've left them pretty plain and generic so as to facilitate multi genre and period use.

Cheers for looking.

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Techno

Very nice indeed, Roy !

Cheers - Phil

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Subedai

They've turned out nicely. My only concern is that your painting table looks a tad too tidy for me, I prefer the 'lived in' look. :)
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

What make are the paints with the "jam pot" covers? The red and white ones?

They don't have 'em  'ere in wildest Runcorn. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 04 January 2016, 08:33:25 PM

Yeah, wondered about that too. Bonne Maman paints and preserves? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

NTM

04 January 2016, 09:35:37 PM #24 Last Edit: 04 January 2016, 09:37:55 PM by NTM
I'd guess they contain mixes there seems to be something hand written on the lids. The empty jars can be bought from hovercraft and the like or they could be recycled from cafes.

Great thread by the way enjoying seeing it all progress.

Roy

Thanks everyone.  :)

I have been informed that they're too clean and tidy - I may mucky them up, a bit, when they're all finished - That I should be building them out of Foamcore - though hardboard is only £3 a sheet at B&Q when a pensioner buys them on a Wednesday - That I should be using sand and not Talus grit (for the rubble), and lots more of it - And, lastly, that I should coat everything in Army Painter stain varnish, so it all looks brown.

All that just coming from the Lead Adventure Forum!  ;D

On Facebook I was told that external and internal walls are never painted the same colour - I didn't know how to respond to this statement!

Gotta love the Internet  ;)

I've just made then, and painted them, quick and easy, so they look suitable for tabletop play. What I've created was acceptable when I was a member of a gaming club in the 1990s. Has wargaming fashions and what is termed acceptable changed that much? Its like all those fashion magazines telling how your body should look and what you should be wearing. Wargame shaming!  ;D

###

Quote from: Subedai on 04 January 2016, 08:23:36 PM
My only concern is that your painting table looks a tad too tidy for me, I prefer the 'lived in' look. :)

Ah, I tidied up that small area to take the shots. The rest of the place is a jumble of stuff, scattered, left haphazardly atop things, and generally messy.

Quote from: fsn on 04 January 2016, 08:33:25 PM

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 January 2016, 08:39:04 PM
Yeah, wondered about that too. Bonne Maman paints and preserves? :)
Quote from: NTM on 04 January 2016, 09:35:37 PM
I'd guess they contain mixes there seems to be something hand written on the lids. The empty jars can be bought from hovercraft and the like or they could be recycled from cafes.

Great thread by the way enjoying seeing it all progress.

Vallejo paints bought from some bloke trading out of Middlesbrough. I don't like those dripper bottles so I decant them into recycled jam jars. The paint sometimes does cause the lids to stick, but a metal probe to prise the lid free does the trick.

O Dinas Powys

They look pretty good to me  :-bd

I think I personally prefer the red brick and cream one – it is more eye-catching and has a kind of Roman vibe going on. 

Still, how can you argue with "the internet"... =)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Roy

Thank you O Dinas Powys  :)

###

To Do
Four more buildings to paint up.

Possibly tone down the paint jobs - Though they are actually a lot less brighter than they appear in the flash photography. There's also more coloured layers than is to be seen in the photo's.

Think about adding some static grass or grass clumps to the terrain bases so it blends in better with the tabletop - Though this is dependent upon what choice of tablecloth I use. If its of a brown colour (muddy) then I'll probably forego any grass.

Not counting the cost of the Minibits trees, nor the GW grass mat, I reckon I've spent around £15 or so on the DIY ruins so far (there's four more to paint, not shown, remember). Rather a good saving I reckon, and if anyone tells me they look crap ... Well, I'll just highlight that the cost of the build far outweighs the DIYs shortcomings.

Cheers,
Roy

toxicpixie

Looks bloody good to me, doubly so for £15 and some time :D

If I was being picky though :D

If doing them specifically and only for Frostgrave (or a snowy/winter theme) I'd have a load of snow effect on the bases (bicarb of soda with a touch of white paint mixed in, or snow flock etc to taste). Other than, I can't see anything that would/should make anyone carp!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno