The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 02 April 2021, 03:46:12 AM
X_X I hate rebasing

Yeah it's not fun. Thankfully these are just stuck to the MDF so pop off easily and not milliput that needs dug out like my early crusades forces. Was looking at my Sudanese archers on their weird yellow bases thinking if I should rebase them too or just get some of the new TB line ones and do fresh. I hate waste though so seems a shame to have figures I'd never use again. Digging out if milliput though is a massive pain. What was I thinking.

In other news my newline order is on its way so I should be able to start putting some of the new units together properly soon when I have the extra command variety.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

I think I've settled on the basing for the foot. The number of figures per base varies which is slightly annoying but felt it more important to represent the ratio than have a fixed figure count given the variability of regiments at the time.

2:1 musket to pike

1:1 musket to pike

4:1 musket to pike

Cavalry I'm not sure on yet. Previously I'd done Royalists as flying v and Parliament as double ranked to tell apart, but thinking it might be better to just standardise them all to the same layout:

Will probably touch up the painting on some of these boyos too as they were a bit rushed and not great. The foot in particular I was running out of steam when doing previously so they're a bit dull looking.

paulr

I like the different ratio foot

For the horse Parliament only really used the deeper formation for the first year or two and then both sides tended to charge in 'Swedish' style
I used fairly irregular formations for my horse, hard to keep the horses in formation etc

Some example here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.msg261233.html#msg261233
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Yeah that's my thinking for the horse. I liked your basing for them which somewhat inspired my original flying v form. However I feel it looked a bit too well formed how I had it. I'd done the Parliament as two formed ranks but again looked a bit too steady. This was more to differenciate them in the swirl of combat than to show differences in style, since typically an army would be all Dutch or all Swedish..I think it was yourself you doubled up bases for Dutch?

Two loose ranks might suit better for all and use the command figures to differentiate R vs P. Given they had a lot of the same equipment etc.

If I ever do early war can double up, or just treat them as Dutch as they are as would be full army behaviour.

mmcv

Newline order arrived. The figures are a bit taller and the pikes a bit longer than the Pendraken ones, but might still be within the realms of normality once mixed on a base. Let the experiments commence.

Also started painting some dismounted dragoons

mmcv

03 April 2021, 05:28:15 PM #351 Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 05:32:38 PM by mmcv

Comparison of ranges between Lancer, Newline and Pendraken.

The Command and Drummer at the front are Lancer. They're a lot squatter than the other two.

The painted pike and shot are Pendraken standard.

The bare metal pike and shot are Newline.

The Newline are a little taller and heavier set than the Pendraken but mostly fit okay, even if their hats are in the larger size. Clearly they were just scraping the barrel a bit for recruitment at this point so couldn't get all big hulking men for the pike. Still fits okay and pike length difference is easily explained by a bit if firewood necessity...

Oddly though one of the Newline shot poses seems much bigger than the rest. The guy in the second row, second from the right is a brute. Not sure I could use him mixed in so may have to reserve those ones for attached shot markers or all Newline bases.

Thankfully the lancer ones I only got a few command figures so will probably be fine on separate bases or possibly just mixed with Pendraken only where they only look short rather than than hobbit like.

I'll have to paint them all up properly and see as that'll be the true test if mixed basing will work.

paulr

Some shims under the figure bases may assist with getting the heights a bit closer :-\

Yes, I have double depth sabots for my Dutch horse

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 04 April 2021, 05:50:18 AM
Some shims under the figure bases may assist with getting the heights a bit closer :-

Yes, I have double depth sabots for my Dutch horse

True, might be worth a go. What do people generally use as shims? Off cuts of card and plastic?

Steve J

Personally I wouldn't notice the slight height differences once based and painted and on the table.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Remember some peps are taller....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Yeah I've no issue with slight variations so long as it doesn't look too unusual so certainly the Newline and Pendraken are mostly grand. Just the Lancer are very squat looking in comparison so I'd probably wouldn't use their standard troops, though add a nice variety for command.

Might consider clipping the bases from the big musketeer pose, it's the only one that really stands out to me

paulr

I use card for shims, easy to cut

Some height variation is fine but then so is some variation in the ground ;)

mmcv

First unit of Parliamentarian horse rebased:

And a new unit of dismounted dragoons painted up:

With their mounted base behind

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner