A 6x4 table at 10mm scale is how far?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 20 October 2017, 04:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just trying to sort a modern game for next week, company scale. A 6' by 4' table at 10mm scale is how far in real life?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Surely that will depend on the ground scale of the rules in use.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fred.

Which just show how much compression of distances there is in wargame rules

I've played Chain of Command with 10mm figures, using the standard rules distances and forces. And you really get the empty battlefield feeling of modern combat. You really start to want all the little bumps and dips that real terrain has!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

From memory in BKCII (and presumably CWC) it equates to roughly 1.7km x 1.2km, using a ground scale of 1cm = 10m.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1" = 20yrds for Sabre Squadron (got home and looked at the rules). Therefore 72" would be 1440 yards.

Hmm... close in fighting then!  :d
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

CoC is 12" = 40 yards
1 foot = 120 feet
So somewhere between 10mm and 15mm figure scale
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sunray

Quote from: fred. on 20 October 2017, 04:49:00 PM
Which just show how much compression of distances there is in wargame rules

I've played Chain of Command with 10mm figures, using the standard rules distances and forces. And you really get the empty battlefield feeling of modern combat. You really start to want all the little bumps and dips that real terrain has!

Fred has hit the reality button.  Humps and dips will check the line of sight. They don't need to be "mountains" .

Aksu

Quote from: Sunray on 20 October 2017, 11:53:09 PM
Fred has hit the reality button.  Humps and dips will check the line of sight. They don't need to be "mountains" .
A WWI memoir I read said that new recruits suffered losses as they could not even see the shallow depressions that could still offer cover to veterans hitting the deck.
Cheers,
Aksu

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Lemmy - Sabre Squadron is 1/2000, so 72" approximates to 2m = 4000m in scale
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Think that might be at 6mm, otherwise my Timecast Chieftain is about 100m long!

DanJ

For 10mm WW1 and WW2 games I generally work to a 1:1000 ground scale; this makes 1cm on the table equate to 10m in 'real life',  using this scale a 6x4 table is about 1.75km long by 1.2km deep.  If you stick to the metric system things are easier to work out  ;)

Leman

25 October 2017, 07:10:06 PM #12 Last Edit: 25 October 2017, 07:13:53 PM by Leman
300 years by 27 bananas. Surely this question relates to scale and only makes any real sense in 1:1 scale. In any other scale it is entirely dependent on the footprint of the unit. All rules define their scale in the intro (if they don't then bargepoles come to mind) so the rulebook solves the problem.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DanJ

QuoteSurely this question relates to scale and only makes any real sense in 1:1 scale.

At 1:1 I think a 6x6 table would equate to about 350 meters by 240 meters, those with a better grasp of maths may very well wish to correct me, perfect for an intimate skirmish game, maybe up to company or equivalent level but hardly massed battles which is what 10mm excels at.

In my experience, many modern rules specifically don't mention scale distance or time frames, because I suspect the writers don't want players comparing the table scales to real world distances.  The, possibly apocryphal example of this was/is a popular set of WW2 rules where a rifle had a range of 12" which wasn't long enough to shoot the length of a 1:1 model of Pegasus Bridge.

fsn

Quote from: DanJ on 26 October 2017, 09:58:38 AM
At 1:1 I think a 6x6 table would equate to about 350 meters by 240 meters,

a 6x6 would surely be square?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!