Wargame or War-game

Started by Leman, 31 October 2017, 08:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Subedai on 02 November 2017, 04:16:53 PM
On any of the MS machines if you right click on your mouse while the cursor is on the word you get  a list of options one of which is Add to Dictionary.

Oh, did not know that. Is this something running on my local machine then? I'd always assumed it was the forum software checking as I typed?

Cheers, M.
--

Chris Pringle

When I ran a fantasy campaign years ago, I spelled it "warg-aimer".

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk

fsn

Why isn't there an emoticon for *groan*?

;D ;D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Rolling eyes ?  ;)

Cheers - Mr Bad Mood. (Not with you, my friend.)

Leman

Technology is so blunderful!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Subedai on 02 November 2017, 04:16:53 PM
On any of the MS machines if you right click on your mouse while the cursor is on the word you get  a list of options one of which is Add to Dictionary. (Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs).  B)

MickS

Am on an MS machine. Can confirm am not offered the option to add to dictionary. I suspect you need MS Office, Open Office or similar to set that option up.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 November 2017, 07:37:49 PM
Am on an MS machine. Can confirm am not offered the option to add to dictionary. I suspect you need MS Office, Open Office or similar to set that option up.

I currently use Office Professional but have had the option on all my previous Office programs. Therefore you are probably right.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

John Cook

Quote from: Leman on 31 October 2017, 08:46:41 AM
When I write wargame on my computer it always autocorrects to war-game. I find this incredibly annoying as I have never ever seen it written as war-game anywhere else other than on this computer. Why, when it seems not to exist in the real world, does autocorrect feel the need to do this?

Essentially because the correct spelling, according to Oxford English Dictionary, which is the authority on the English language (Webster's not withstanding) is war game and war gaming.  War Game is how Donald Feather stone wrote it in his books War Games, War Games Campaigns and Advanced War games - until 1973 when it became wargaming, wargamer and wargame.  I hope this helps ;D

Leman

One would assume that 44 years continuous use would have been noted by the Oxford Dictionary by now.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 02 November 2017, 04:29:28 PM
I don't see what's wrong with typing 'twit' ?  ;) ;D ;D
Can I re-set that for just the Pendraken Forum, Ian ?

Cheers - Phil

Should be able to, and it weren't TWIT. Bloody yanks get really annoyed when you correct to English spelling.....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Oxford won't recognise it until it's 300 years old. I can't believe they actually gave Richard Dawkins a chair.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

He'd had a house fire - they were being kind.

FierceKitty

Must be it. I wonder if they replaced his selfish jeans as well?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.