Painting Comp Feedback

Started by TinyTerrain, 01 March 2014, 10:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Oops! Lol! Blòóðý phøñě!  =O =O
Don't forget the BOAR and their Centurions post-war Germany! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

My question chaps is about the judging of the competition. Are entries judged only on style and accuracy, or is some element historicity required?

For example, if one submitted a beautifully painted sky-blue-pink Pz II from Rommel's 7th Panzer in France, 1940, would the judges dock points? If so, can one really compare a T26 from the Spanish Civil War with a Vickers 6 tonner from AVBCW - which could legitimately painted sky-blue-pink as that was the shade favored by the Brighton Militia?

Also, won't certain British post war tanks automatically get extra points for being beautiful and powerful and all a man can want?  B)

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 01 March 2014, 05:38:20 PM
My question chaps is about the judging of the competition. Are entries judged only on style and accuracy, or is some element historicity required?

For example, if one submitted a beautifully painted sky-blue-pink Pz II from Rommel's 7th Panzer in France, 1940, would the judges dock points? If so, can one really compare a T26 from the Spanish Civil War with a Vickers 6 tonner from AVBCW - which could legitimately painted sky-blue-pink as that was the shade favored by the Brighton Militia?

Also, won't certain British post war tanks automatically get extra points for being beautiful and powerful and all a man can want?  B)

Pink would work - the Pink Panzer.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You would have to be feline related wouldn't you Fierce....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Weren't some British vehicles painted Desert Pink in '42-'43 during the campaign in the Western Desert?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Matt J

QuoteAlso, won't certain British post war tanks automatically get extra points for being beautiful and powerful and all a man can want?

I think that's a good idea  ;)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

FierceKitty

Crusader tanks are pretty, and also nomenclaturally remind one of battles that are fun to fight.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

There was a purple and yellow paint scheme for the Sudan in 41 or so.

Not sure if this delightful scheme was ever used in action, but 3RTR did paint their tanks like these, before being redeployed to Greece.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

Land Rover IIA (Pink Panther), as produced by Marshall's in 1968, apparently

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

All of which is nice, but my question remains. Would a historically inaccurate, but beautifully painted entry be docked points? If so, isn't it easier just to enter imaginary entries that can't be queried?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fred.

I don't know.

Why not give it a try - a rainbow range of Centurions for next year  8)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

It was actually a serious question, aimed at the judges?

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: fsn on 01 March 2014, 07:51:35 PM
It was actually a serious question, aimed at the judges?

I would imagine historical verisimilitude is irrelevant to a decent paint-job, if only because the judges will not necessarily be an expert or even be interested in a particular historical period.

The level of historical accuracy is surely down to the individual painter and what they are happy to field in their own army, both in terms of figure choice and paint scheme.

Cheers,

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Or is it aimed at Mat's amazing tank! Love that crazy camo. :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

QuoteLove that crazy camo.

Based upon the Berlin Brigade methinks :-\ ;). Scroll down to page two on the following pdf:

http://www.armouredacorn.com/Refs-%20Thumbprints%20&%20Images/NCVM%20Index/Britain/MBTs.pdf