Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kipt

Finished "The Waterloo Archive, Volume IX: British Sources" edited by Gareth Glover.

Again many letters and reports from participants in the battle, both officers and enlisted.  Interesting but I may be getting 'Waterloo'd Out" by reading so many similar accounts.  I have two more volumes to read, with another couple that I MIGHT buy (since I don't like to break up sets), but it may be awhile.

Ithoriel

Just finished book 1 of "The Complete Lieutenant Oliver Anson Naval Thrillers Books 1-4" on Kindle and enjoyed it.

David McDine, the author, starts conventionally enough with our hero aboard the frigate Phryne but then the book takes you through Revolutionary France, back to England and a posting with the Sea Fencibles, the Napoleonic Naval Dad's Army, and co-operation with the semaphore service.

Chronologically, Book 2 is set before book 1 and deals with the mutinies at Spithead and The Nore.

Bought pretty much by random chance and  I'm glad I did.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

kipt

Finished Gettysburg magazine, January 2024 Issue 70.

Articles Include

"They Called Each Other Comrades": The Story of Rufus Dawes, William Murphy, and the Capture of the Flag of the 2nd Mississippi,
"My Own Movement and On My Own Responsibility": The Saga of Lafayette McLaws's Commentary on Longstreet at Gettysburg,
The London Times Repo0rts "The Battles of Gettysburg,
A Michigan Cavalryman: The Life and Untimely Death of Major Noah Henry Ferry, 5th Michigan Cavalry

Published twice a year and always good articles and maps.

kipt

Finished "The Destruction Of The Imperial Army, Volume 2: The battles Around Metz". by Grenville Bird.

This is how Bazaine and his army were confined to Metz, after the battles of Borny, Rezonville and Gravelotte-Saint Privat.  His Corps commanders fought well but only thought defensively.  It appears Bazaine did not even think - totally out of his depth.

Prussians were aggressive, too much so.  The Prussian Guard took horrendous casualties.

Both the Prussian and french guard commanders were not the best as it seems.

On to volume 3 - Sedan

kipt

Finished "The Destruction Of The Imperial Army, Volume 3: The Sedan Campaign 1870". by Grenville Bird.

One volume to go but I will take a break before reading: dense stuff.  An army of lions led by sheep fits the French.  Maybe not sheep but like deer caught in the headlights, not knowing what to do with almost no initiative for French senior commanders.

Still good books with formations identified in the fighting down to company, squadron and battery level.

Dragoon

Any novel to do with AWI and ACW to link with sharp practice.
I'm playing solo (not with myself).
Some of them are romantic novels but the storylines can give ideas for some games as any civil war can give reasons for supporting one side with or against a neighbour.
But no decent skirmish battles.
Basing :-
I've looked at various sizes so,
   round won't work or any other variant of small base.
   So a 20mm rectangle say 10mm deep 1 rank of 3 figures.
   A 25mm x 10mm 1 rank of 4 figures
   A 20 to 25mm deep 2 ranks of 3 or 4 figures each rank
   With a casualty figure based with space for a mini dice.
As a line unit can be 8, 16, or 24 figures a maximum of 6 figures so a 3 or 4 figure base in 1 rank could be a better option.
Any thoughts on this?
Or, how 10mm figures will stand being lifted by the head or musket for marching figures??

Has anyone read any good accounts of battles or even one part of a battle for AWI or ACW ?
Regards

Mike L

kipt

QuoteHas anyone read any good accounts of battles or even one part of a battle for AWI or ACW ?

Robert Krick has written two books about the ACW in the Shenandoah Valley that are well detailed.  A great set of ACW historical novels is by Ralph Peters, starting with "Cain At Gettysburg".  His battle descriptions are telling.

Also you can look back through this forum (What are you currently reading) where I review many books on the ACW.

Roy

Quote from: Roy on 28 February 2024, 11:19:23 AMAltar of Freedom (ACW) rules ... 'cos it looks like I'm going to break my duck and play a game for the first time since 2017  :D [that's if I can get my 10mm Pendraken Union Brigades painted up first  ;D ]

Still this.
Game is set for this coming Sunday.
Didn't get all my troops painted (did get 114 miniatures painted, varnished, based, plus tokens completed - so enough for x4 units, x1 gen. x1 hq base).
Then two days later, at a shop you might of heard of in Middlesbrough, I'm going to be playing Flames of War v.4 - one of the British beaches for D-Day scenario.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}