Dungeon World - FAQ Page

Started by sixsideddice, 07 August 2013, 08:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixsideddice

I imagine this thread might be a slow mover. Never the less this is unimportant, long term, as the aim is to offer help to those who need it. If anyone from the forums has a question or questions concerning the Dungeon World rules; I shall endeavour to answer here.

Six

sixsideddice

07 August 2013, 11:35:19 PM #1 Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 02:37:30 AM by sixsideddice
QuoteDefender`s Action Phase: Do the defenders (the side going second during the current move) get to move as well?

No... they may only respond to the enemy (the Attackers) using ranged attacks with figures in range or/and line of sight. The following move both sides throw for initiative once again: one side becoming the Attacker and the other the Defender. If a side is unfortunate (and loses initiative a second time in a row), they might still not get to move figures on the second move either... and so on and so on. Determine initiative at the start of every new move.

sixsideddice

QuoteThere are no actual monster/character levels existing in Dungeon World. So while the heroes gain special abilities and increased combat adds throughout extended campaigning... how do you make monsters tougher to compensate for this?

If you need to make the monsters more challenging, the Draken Master should assign an increased complexity level to the game sessions. The standard complexity level of a dungeon/encounter as presented in the rules would (by default) be level 1. But if you want your monsters to be tougher to reflect a more difficult scenario, simply X = the monsters` wounds by the level of complexity set by the DM... So for example a normal default (level 1) monster with 4 wounds, if played as a level 3 encounter would be 4 X 3 = 12 Wounds.

Do the same with Attacks and multiply the number of wounds inflicted on a hero by the difficulty of the adventure being played... e.g. if a monster inflicts 2 wounds on a hero in a level 3 complexity encounter, simply multiply the result by three: 2 X 3 = 6 wounds.  This will create a tougher, more dangerous version of a normal monster for the heroes to encounter.

sixsideddice

08 August 2013, 02:46:08 AM #3 Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 02:47:48 PM by sixsideddice
QuoteSo are there any monster or hero levels in the game?

No... the encounter/dungeon/adventure is assigned a complexity level instead, and monsters are simply adjusted accordingly.

sixsideddice

QuoteSo how do heroes grow stronger in the game if they don`t go up in levels?

By acquiring new special abilities or/and by adding bonuses to existing abilities... either paid for in gold (as training) or found as pick ups during play.

sixsideddice

08 August 2013, 11:39:35 AM #5 Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 11:41:46 AM by sixsideddice

QuoteHow do I add skill attributes to my heroes to make the game more like fully immersive RPG?

You can add any of the usual RPG attributes you might see in other games (such as D&D) by using a simple formula. For example, perhaps you might like to give each of your heroes: Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma. Simply give each newly created hero an initial attribute of 0. To this throw one negative D4 and one positive D4. Throw the negative die and subtract the result from the attribute. Throw one positive die and add this to the attribute. For example, a newly created hero "Boris the Bold" wants to find his starting Charisma total, so he throws a negative D4 and rolls a 2. He then rolls a positive D4 and rolls a 3. So -2 +3 = 1. So Boris starts the game with a Charisma of 1.

Later on in the game, after Boris has gone on a few adventures, he has acquired some hard earned loot (600 gold pieces). He decides he would like to increase his Charisma a bit and so spends 500 gold, and finds someone to teach him a bit in the arts of social etiquette. The player knocks off 500 gold from his total and Boris increases his Charisma from 1 point to 2 points.

To use an attribute in the game the player simply has to tell the Draken Master (DM) what he wants to achieve and the DM checks the attribute against a simple Task Resolution table to determine success or failure.

Task Resolution:

D20                   Number Needed
Mere Formality             10
Easy                            14
Tricky                          16
Difficult                        20
Unlikely                       25
Impossible                   30

Let's say that Boris is trying to `chat up` a barmaid to gain some local information.  The DM secretly decides to set the Task Resolution (TR) as Easy. Checking along the table he sees that Boris needs a D20 roll of 14 to succeed. To this, Boris gets to add his Charisma of 2.

The DM rolls 12 on the die, but adds Boris` +2. 12 +2 = 14. Boris charms the barmaid and successfully gets the information he needs out of her.

sixsideddice

QuoteWhat are the maximum ability scores a hero can have in the game. How much does it cost, and how do you acquire each +1 point upgrade?

The maximum Armour a hero can have in Dungeon World is 6.

The Maximum Attacks a hero can have is 10.

Other special abilities/attribute points have a max cap of 8.

You can buy +1 to an ability/attribute for 500 gold, or you can find power ups amongst treasure troves... if you get lucky.

An exception to the rules above (my own house ruling) is that you must spend 5 points or pay 2500 gold to raise Armour or Attacks by +1 point. All other point purchases are standard, as stated above.

sixsideddice

08 August 2013, 02:32:05 PM #7 Last Edit: 08 August 2013, 02:34:38 PM by sixsideddice
QuoteDo hero experience points (EP`s) exist in Dungeon World?

As originally written... no.

The game was conceived to create a (old school feel) 3D table top miniatures dungeon crawl.

However, over the years I have added a simple experience system which works really well when using the system to play a full role playing game.

At the end of each game session, the Draken Master uses his discretion to awards Experience Points to the players if he thinks they have played exceptionally well, been extremely clever in outwitting the bad guys and escaping the dungeon; or if the DM is simply a kind and benevolent `God`, and thinks the players deserve a small end of session bonus. Be sparing though. A DM can quickly and easily unbalance a campaign by being too generous.

I usually like to hand out between 1 and 2 points to each of my players at the end of an evenings play... my campaign game sessions are usually between 3 and 6 hours long.

Spend points on a 1 to 1 basis. Think of each point as the equivalent of spending 500 gold to increase an ability by +1. For example, a hero might be awarded 2 points by his DM and decide to spend these straight away and put +1 on his Strength and a +1 on his Ride ability. Or maybe he will store up his points until he has 5 to spend, then blow it all on a +1 to his Attacks.

sixsideddice

QuoteWhat can earned experience points be used for?

Basically anything the DM decides to allow.

For example, in my campaign things are seldom assumed to be free. Thus the players have to BUY the ability to ride a horse, to swim, to climb a sheer wall, make a camp fire in wet weather, survival instincts, pick a pocket, find sloping passages, find secret doors, read and write (both separate skills), learn a new language, read magical scrolls, gamble, play an instrument, etc etc etc etc etc... the list can be as endless as you like.

Use experience points to gain new abilities and to improve existing ones by spending 1 point to gain a +1 in any given ability.

When a hero checks to see whether an ability works in the game, just use the Task Resolution table, roll a D20, and include any relevant existing attribute adds to try and beat a Task Resolution number set by the DM.

sixsideddice

QuoteWhy is Fire Weapon  written down twice in the Special Abilities?

One is a simplified version of the special ability, easy to use and ideal for a quick random encounter. The other is an alternative version of the same, ideal for DM`s who want to make a feature out of the encounter with a fire wielder. I tend to associate the more complex version with Dragon Breath or a Fire Demon. But I usually keep the simplified ability to use with traps (like Burning Hands in D&D).

nikharwood

Don't be worried....he often talks to himself...and answers...  8-} <:-P :O) <:-P 8-}

Seriously, though, a useful FAQ  8)

sixsideddice

;D  =O =O :D

A sure sign I`m finally going totally senile Nik   ;)

Six  :-B

nikharwood

Quote from: sixsideddice on 08 August 2013, 06:33:24 PM
  ;D  =O =O :D

A sure sign I`m finally going totally senile Nik   ;)

Six  :-B

Best way to be, old buddy, best way  ;)