Scratchbuilt Siege Engines

Started by TinyTerrain, 18 June 2013, 02:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyTerrain

Before anyone says anything, it not my fault! I had no intention of scratchbuilding Trebuchet, Perrier or any other "big" siege engines for my 10mm Medieval armys. That was until I watched the film "Ironclad" yesterday afternoon, in which Rochester Castle is pounded by all sorts of Danish nasties in a bid to win back the Kings control of England......and then I thought, well why not  :>>:-[>:-[  what harm can come of it!

A quick internet search and a few drawings and here I am less than 36 hours later, at 2AM, having spent the last 90 minutes bulding a 10mm perrier stone thrower from bass wood and plasticard......and whats more although its not finished it actually has moving parts and works! Now thats just >:XX ridiculous!

A few bits of detailing like ropes and lashing to do, as well as the all important sling for the stones, and it will be pretty much done......must check the Pendraken catalogue for suitable crew....any suggestions anyone?

Off to bed.....work in under 4 hours !

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models

http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That is brilliantly insane! And it moves is wonderful.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

ryman1

Brilliant!
You do realise we're going to want a video of it in action with audio of you going 'snap -whoosh!' don't you?  :D

Can't wait to see it painted up, do keep us posted.

Ry

Techno

Quote from: ryman1 on 18 June 2013, 06:51:57 AM
You do realise we're going to want a video of it in action with audio of you going 'snap -whoosh!' don't you?  :D

I second that !!
Brilliant Craig !
Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Hertsblue

Yeah, but it's inspired madness. Love this sort of model.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Steve J

I remember scratch building a siege tower from an Airfix magazine years ago. It was made from collected lolly sticks and covered with scraps ot tissue paper to represent the animal hides. Had great fun making it but I think we set it alight via a magnifying glass; the tissue paper burned brilliantly IIRC.

Ithoriel

Nice. I've scratch-built some siege engines in the past but never ones with moving parts! "That way madness lies"  :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

TinyTerrain

For anyone whos not seena perrier in action before this clip gives a good iea of how it was used:

Cheers, Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
All Periods, All scales

TinyTerrain

All finished....until I get some crew and then I will add the pull ropes to suit their stance Etc

Cheers,

Craig
Tiny Terrain Models
All Periods, All scales

ryman1

Excellent!!! =D> =D>

and all for the price of a box of matches!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

That really is terrific Craig !! :-bd =D>
Cheers - Phil.

nikharwood