Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

With the impending release of Arab-Israeli ranges, I thought I'd brush up on the 1973 conflict. (Disappointed there were no Mi24s in Egyptian or Syrian service.)

Reading Tank Battles in Miniature 5: The Arab-Israeli Wars since 1948 by Bruce Quarrie (PSL, 1978).

On Israeli tank markings it says "Hebrew characters can easily be traced or copied from a good dictionary; if you don't possess one, ask your local librarian, but make sure you tell him or her what you are doing or you might be accused of trying to deface the book!"

Oh, how times have changed!     
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Antioch

fsn

In 67 unit markings were much the same as it was a planned attack.... In 73 things were pretty desperate (particularly on the Syrian front). They formed ad hoc units with various companies with mixed equipment as soon as they had one reported in...hence you tend to get mixed symbols. However as you prob allready know the use of the chevron in a variety of positions was used quite a bit.

Helicopters at this time were not usually a high priority for any of the sides....something basic transport like..fighter jets....everyone wanted more.  But by 73 the isdaelis used mostly french (allouette III's & supser Frelons) for an interesting read...look up the battles around Mount Hermon (highest point over the galalee area & prime real estate) I believe 3 different battles took place there, several with troop transport choppers. After 73 US helicopter replacements arrived as well & the first (I think) of the cobras. Not sure how soon after the Russians supplied the MI-24's.       Bob

fsn

Was at Phalanx yesterday and had to possibly maybe get some Centurions for the Israelis.

I see the Arab-Israeli ranges have been released on the home page ... so I've put in a little order for them.

Think that means I'm now doing three projects at once.

On the upside, I've got back into painting the Russian Napoleonics, finished one battalion yesterday and looks like I may finish another today. That will leave just 2 battalions, one regiment of Cuirassiers and the horse artillery battery to "finish" that project. 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

paulr

Well done Nobby, progress is good :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Picked up some Egyiptain and Isralie infantry at Phalanx, do look rather good....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I was in Home Bargain the other day. They had Really Useful Box ... boxes. The 4l ones were £5.

Didn't have the batteries I went there for though. 

fsn

Oh frabjous day!

Not one, not two but three packets from Pendraken!

Including Centurions.

Nobby is a happy oik!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 01 July 2022, 04:00:37 PMOh frabjous day!

Not one, not two but three packets from Pendraken!

Including Centurions.

Nobby is a happy oik!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Excellent, good to hear that they all arrived!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Hoorah! Hoorah! Russian Napoleonics finished*

This is elements of Constantine's V Corps - the Guard.

At the back are the Guard Uhlans, Guard Dragoons and the Tsarina's Cuirassiers. At the front is the Tsar's Cuirassiers.

The infantry are drawn from 2nd Div; 2 battalions each from Lithuanian, Gd Grenadiers, Finland and Pavlovski regiments.

Supported by one horse artillery battery, one foot battery and one heavy foot battery. I have given them 3 guns rather than 2 to reflect the tendency for larger Russian batteries.

576 foot, 120 cavalry 9 guns and a number of generals, brigadiers, generals and ADCs.
First time I've used Maverick Models for standards. Pleased with the range offered, but should have got them printed a little bit bigger. Still, we live and learn.

Next up - the Dutchy of Warsaw. Belay that! I'm half way through doing a couple of Israeli infantry platoons, plus far too many armoured supports.

*"Finished" in this case, means no further work on the project is intended at the time of writing. However, this project may be revived, renewed or enhanced at any time. Future releases from Pendraken may cause the project to be re-opened**. Figure numbers will go up ... never down. Your home is at risk of collapsing if you actually buy all the figures you need

**Like some proper Russian Horse Artillery

fred.

Very impressive, are your infantry battalions 8 bases, each of 9 figures? So 72 figs to a battalion, that is a serious size!

I know what you mean by finished, its a 'this project is a good size' as opposed to a 'this project will never get additions'
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Wot they sed  :-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

QuoteNext up - the Dutchy of Warsaw. Belay that! I'm half way through doing a couple of Israeli infantry platoons, plus far too many armoured supports.

I wonder what that amoured support could possibly be :-\  ;)

fsn

Thank you for you kind comments, Gentlemen.

QuoteVery impressive, are your infantry battalions 8 bases, each of 9 figures? So 72 figs to a battalion, that is a serious size!
Indeed. The Austrians have 90 figures on 9 bases. The Light Infantry have a number of 3 x 1 bases so they can skirmish.

QuoteI wonder what that amoured support could possibly be :-\  ;)
Would you be surprised to know M51 Super Shermans, M48s and M113s?

Maybe some Centurions as well.

paulr

Quote...
Would you be surprised to know M51 Super Shermans, M48s and M113s?

Maybe some Centurions as well.

Yes :o

No surprise there then

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson