Gurkhas for Falklands

Started by alanl, 22 February 2013, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanl

Is there any intention of doing a set of Gurkhas (or perhaps I have overlooked them somewhere else).

Also, in the British section who is "Barrie" meant to represent?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Barrie is Barrie Lovell from Timecast, who served in the Falklands with 80th Intel section. He provided a lot of information about the kit used.
He's also a mate!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

alanl

Ah, that makes sense

Good job I wasn't about to order a battalion of that figure!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Seeing as hes crouching with a map and only armed with a Stirling smg, I'd say that would be a sensible choice! ;)
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: alan_lockhart on 22 February 2013, 11:14:06 AM
Is there any intention of doing a set of Gurkhas (or perhaps I have overlooked them somewhere else).

I've just asked Dave about that one, and he wasn't sure they'd look any different, apart from maybe the hat?  In combat though, the helmet ones should do?

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

alanl

Thanks.

I was just wondering about some figures wielding a kukri: they don't like it up 'em, you know (as a great philosopher once said).

Sunray

22 February 2013, 06:35:00 PM #6 Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 06:37:54 PM by Sunray
It all hangs on demand. The minium height  for a Johnnie is 160cm - taller than the MoD 148/151 requirements.  The recruits are the pickof the crop and those who pass the doko are often "bred" for it and come from traditional Gurkha familes - well fed by the standards of Nepal.    So at 1/150 scale there would be no difference.

In addition to the Kurki, a few figures in the Cold weather hat would  be distinctive.  I remember the Gurkhas wearing the Cold weather hat at WSI and Brecon. They are less lid conscious than some elite units who stick to the treasured beret and would rather get frostbite of the ears than wear a sensible craphat.  

Sunray

Leon

I'll pop this thread over to the requests section, and we'll see how many votes we get.  It wouldn't be too hard to do a couple of hat swops on the existing figures.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Certainly wouldn't take long to do those. ;)
Sure I've still got quite a few 'beret' masters I can convert, if those are wanted.
Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Any particular poses you'd prefer?  If you pick a few options, we'll see if Techno's got those with him, and we can go from there?

ManchesterDave

They disembarked in San Carlos and were in standard DPM Camo and 58 Pattern Webbing, SLRs/Sterlngs, with GPMG Gun Groups and Charlie G's - the only difference really would be the Kukri scabard attached at the reat of the left ammo pouch (where the bayonet would normally be carried) though I seem to recall a great many of them wearing cap comforters under thier helmets/arctic hats - dont remember any wearing berets though.

Techno

23 February 2013, 07:54:19 PM #11 Last Edit: 23 February 2013, 08:09:48 PM by Techno
Don't worry Dave.

By saying I had some 'beret masters' .....I meant that these particular 'beret' figures would be relatively easy to convert.
I'm sure (with Leon's say so) I'll be able to do something useful for everyone that's interested.

Good info you've put down....Thanks ! :-bd
Cheers - Phil.

Hah !!
And I forgot to say....As that was your first post on the forum.....A very warm welcome !

ManchesterDave

If you want to go the whiole hog, then you might do a Para with a bren, (7.62mm version) identical to the WW2 version except the flash eliminator is very much like the SLR and not the cone shaped one, also the bren was used with the SLR 20 round mags the 30 round curved ones were problematic with rimless rounds.

And thanks for the welcome

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sunray

The request/discussion regarding the LMG has come up before.  In 1/150 scale the 30rd mag would be practically straight. It had only a slight curve to accomodate the 7.62 unlike the banana of the old .303.  I neverencountered/ heard of feed problems. The key issues was the 20rd was more than often used as it was available, and to those who knewand loved it in Operation Banner there was a lot less bulk above the barrel - thus less liklely to snag in undergrowth or in exit from a Rover/APC.  It was lighter than the GPMG and the mag kept the rounds clean, and you did not have a belt trailing to be loaded.  All old mags are prone to spring fatigue.  Even the "new"
5.56 ones for those cheap plastic/stamped metal thing they call an SA80 and its LSW stablemate.

Dave has a serious request for the LMG gunner.  I know the Royals RASed every LMG they could find before they left base, and it was common to find both GPMG and LMG in a section.

With regards to the Barrie figure. Serious figure to have.  Scares the cr*p out of any squaddie.  Indeed most vets will agree that a British Int cell type -or a senior officer- seen looking at a map, posed the most serious threat to human life on the battlefield....

Sunray