Varnish Spray

Started by Thaladan, 12 January 2013, 05:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thaladan

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a varnish spray for Pendraken models? Also, your opinion on matt vs gloss?

Techno

Welcome aboard Thaladan !

I'll let some of my esteemed colleagues point you in the right direction regarding 'brands'
From a completely personal point of view, I prefer to see matt rather than gloss as a finish....But when someone pops in with a more definitive answer, it may well be that folk will give the figures a gloss varnish to help protect them, first and foremost.....Then....Once the gloss has thoroughly dried... 'dull them down' with a good matt spray.

C'mon chaps...you'll know the best of the current crop of varnishes better than myself.....My tins must be around 10 years old by now.  :)
IF it's still available.....I never ever had a bad spray can of Letracote Matt.

Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

Windsor and Newton matt fixative every time.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Rob

Hi Thaladan and welcome,

I have moved away from spray varnishes, I have found the effects vary too much over different applications. I now use a Windsor & Newton bottled matt acrylic varnish - GALERIA. I am very satisfied with this and would recomend it.

Cheers, Rob  :)

AndyT

I use Vallejo spray gloss varnish then when it has had a good period of time to dry thoroughly I apply Army Painter matt spray varnish.

However I might have to change my brand of gloss varnish as I could only get it in spray cans from Maelstrom Games which is not an option any longer.

Bernie

Dullcote or Army Painter Matt Varnish a can do 100's of bases

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

I've always found that the Vallejo matt varnish goes on fine every time and gives a good matt finsih. I do brush it on though.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

NTM

Windsor & Newton Matt brush on for me too. Discovered it years ago and never even considered anything else since. I prefer the Artists one to Galeria though, recently bought a new bottle and find it even better than before.

GordonY

Nah sorry lads but you can keep all those mentioned above, nowt beats a good spray with Dullcote. its the flattest finish in the known galaxy (and Croydon).

nikharwood

Quote from: GordonY on 13 January 2013, 07:49:53 PM
Nah sorry lads but you can keep all those mentioned above, nowt beats a good spray with Dullcote. its the flattest finish in the known galaxy (and Croydon).

Dullcote's my preferred one too - it'll take the shine off of chrome...can be hard to get hold of though, so Army Painter Matt is my (close) second choice  :)

quasar42

Testors Dullcote for me too. But I would recommend using a gloss varnish first (and wait until dry) before spraying with Dullcote for two reasons: (1) Gloss varnish is harder and therefore adds an additional layer of protection and (2) I understand that without the gloss varnish Dullcote may damage the paint because it is a lacquer (although I luckily have no first hand hand experience with such a disaster - fingers crossed)

AndyT

Quote from: quasar42 on 15 January 2013, 05:06:04 PM
Testors Dullcote for me too. But I would recommend using a gloss varnish first (and wait until dry) before spraying with Dullcote for two reasons: (1) Gloss varnish is harder and therefore adds an additional layer of protection and (2) I understand that without the gloss varnish Dullcote may damage the paint because it is a lacquer (although I luckily have no first hand hand experience with such a disaster - fingers crossed)

I've sometimes seen what you might call "paint bleed" after varnishing - colours merging, even when they have had a long time to dry, often turning white paint into a mixture of surrounding colours and especially when using inks for shading.

However, I think a good varnish enhances and gives depth to colour.

Chad

Gave up on spray varnish and now use Vallejo Matt and brush on.

Chad