What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

With the nights drawing in it's back to the Kobo for my waiting-at-the-station-for-the-other-half stints. That's because the little beast is back-lit and I can read it in the dark. Currently half-way through Not Ordinary Men, John Colvin's account of the Battle of Kohima in 1944. One disadvantage of the e-book, though - it's bind flipping back to the maps.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 24 October 2013, 08:48:30 PM
Lindsey Davis' Falco books are right riveting read.

Very enjoyable indeed....Hope your headache's better fsn !
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

If you're into ancient Roman sleuths try Steven Saylor's books based on the exploits of Gordianus the Finder. Real page-turners.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Quote from: Hertsblue on 25 October 2013, 08:51:19 AM
If you're into ancient Roman sleuths try Steven Saylor's books based on the exploits of Gordianus the Finder. Real page-turners.

Thanks Ray... :-bd
Another author to ask the dear old library van to look out for.
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You mean you still got a library service, are the books in English ?  ;)

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

At the risk of sounding like an online bookshop - If you like Falco and Gordianus you might also like R. S. Downie's Ruso, Rosemary Rowe's Libertus or David Wishart's Corvinus.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

clibinarium

Quote from: wurrukatte on 24 October 2013, 06:56:21 PM
Just started Christopher Duffy's 'by force of arms.

:D

Hey, me too! Its on Amazon at a reasonable price at the moment.

Fenton

I enjoyed the Ruso books..And Lindsey Davis has written a new book  ( well new to me)  about his son taking over the finder business
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

get2grips

25 October 2013, 02:23:42 PM #353 Last Edit: 25 October 2013, 03:06:04 PM by get2grips
"The Weirdstone of Brisingamen": odd one I know but read it as a kid and it helped (along with The Hobbit and Rings) to get me into the fantasy genre.

Nice walk down memory lane  ;)

Fenton

If you like roman sleuths I always enjoyed Marilyn Todd and David Wishart's  works
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Quote from: get2grips on 25 October 2013, 02:23:42 PM
"The Weirdstone of Brisingamen": odd one I know but read it as a kid and it helped (along with The Hobbit and Rings) to get me into the fantasy genre.

Nice walk down memory lane  ;)

Read "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" and "Moon of Gomrath" as a teenager on the promise from my Aunt that if I finished them by a certain time we'd go to Alderley Edge. The Edge at dusk after two days solid of reading those was really spooky
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I'll see the weirdstone and raise you 'The dark is rising' series by Susan Cooper.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

get2grips

Quote from: Ithoriel on 25 October 2013, 03:21:34 PM
Read "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" and "Moon of Gomrath" as a teenager on the promise from my Aunt that if I finished them by a certain time we'd go to Alderley Edge. The Edge at dusk after two days solid of reading those was really spooky..

Love it...wouldn't mind going myself ;)

Quote from: mad lemmey on 25 October 2013, 04:32:29 PM
I'll see the weirdstone and raise you 'The dark is rising' series by Susan Cooper.

Don't know anything about it Lem :-/

Ithoriel

I'll second the recommendation of "The Dark Is Rising." As with Weirdstone the main protagonists are kids/teenagers but if that doesn't put you off they are an excellent read. Stole several ideas from them for my tabletop role playing campaign!

Others I'd recommend in a similar vein are "Giant in the Snow" and "A Rag, a Bone, a Hank of Hair"

Techno

Thanks for the recommendations chaps !

Quote from: ianrs54 on 25 October 2013, 10:04:36 AM
You mean you still got a library service, are the books in English ?  ;)
IanS

I've never really looked Ian, to be honest...as I just grab as many audio books as think I can get through in three weeks.....But from odd 'scans' around the shelves I'd reckon 90+% are in English. ;)
Cheers - Phil.