What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Phillips

I've just started reading Tomorrow the World: In which Cadet Otto Prohaska Carries the Habsburg Empire's Civilizing Mission to the Entirely Unreceptive Peoples of Africa and Oceania. It's the fourth and last in the Otto Prohaska series by John Biggins, and so far is as good as the others. I'm also listening to the audio book of Seven Troop by Andy McNab, acquired via the local library, which is also interesting.

Having heard of his passing, I may have to acquire and (re-)read some Donald Featherstone books. I kept borrowing and re-borrowing copies of the Tank Battles in Miniature series from the local library in the 1970s, but I never got around to buying any of his books. I think I need to rectify that.
Russell Phillips
Books and articles about military technology and history
www.rpbook.co.uk

Hertsblue

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

Think there were some re releases just recently

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=donald%20featherstone&sprefix=donald+fe%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adonald%20featherstone
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Russell Phillips

The History of Wargaming website is reprinting various old wargames books. Some are straightforward reprints, some are revised. This page has details: http://www.wargaming.co/books/homepage.htm
Russell Phillips
Books and articles about military technology and history
www.rpbook.co.uk

Techno

Still reading 'Storm from the East'......But currently listening to 'Hadrian and the triumph of Rome by Anthony Everitt.
Finding it very interesting.

Have to borrow it again when I get around to doing the next lot of Roman figures.
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

NTM

Having seen all the film versions and recently read about John Buchan's involvement in the war effort 'The 39 Steps' is currently at the top of my Kindle.

Hertsblue

Just managed to get my Kobo registered on our Wi-fi net after nine months of trying. Woopee-do, I'm not a total techno-nerd!

www.rulesdepot.net

fsn

Quote from: NTM on 10 September 2013, 08:32:10 AM
Having seen all the film versions and recently read about John Buchan's involvement in the war effort 'The 39 Steps' is currently at the top of my Kindle.

Which, in your opinion, is the best film version?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

i liked the Robert Donat one and the 2008 BBC version
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Hertsblue

Just in the middle of Neal Asher's The Departure. Bears more than a passing resemblance to the Elysium movie I saw last Saturday - crumbling Earth, pampered elite living in idyllic orbiting habitat, revolutionaries out to break the system - all sounds terribly familiar. However Asher's book was published in 2011 (and he's used the scenario in previous books) so one wonders where Blomkamp got his ideas from....

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Have read all Neal's books, great author, also follow him on Facebook & twitter, had a lovely discussion about how much damage you would take falling into a canyon in Mars!  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 September 2013, 09:23:28 AM
a lovely discussion about how much damage you would take falling into a canyon in Mars!  ;D

Is the month important when you fall in a canyon? ;)

NTM

Quote from: fsn on 10 September 2013, 08:51:34 AM
Which, in your opinion, is the best film version?

I would never categorise my choice as  best but favourite would probably be the BBC version Fenton refers to

Ithoriel

Quote from: Hertsblue on 10 September 2013, 08:57:21 AM
one wonders where Blomkamp got his ideas from....

Neuromancer? The Spindle and Villa Straylight date from the mid-1980s. To be honest I'd be surprised if that was the earliest incarnation of "privilege in space" but it's the earliest I can come up with without rummaging Google :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data