What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Halfway through The Penultimate Truth by Philip K. Dick, one of the great twentieth century sci-fi novels. The bulk of the world's surviving population is locked in underground bunkers after a devastating war, whilst on the surface a ruling elite lives in spacious luxury. The book reeks of sixties cold-war paranoia, but it's still a great read.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fsn

Just started the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Hmmm ... early Chinese.  :-\
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

PHTLS - Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support

Because I'm all loved up  :x and geeky  :-B about my new job and keen to get on the pathway to full blown para as quickly as possible :)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

sixsideddice

07 August 2013, 11:50:27 PM #243 Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 11:52:31 PM by sixsideddice
Book 5... Game of Thrones

book 6... Game of Thrones ^^

QuoteI think we all know how that ends!

;D

Currently reading Mists of Avalon... again.

sixsideddice

QuoteI'm reading Shetland Bus, by David Howarth - his story of helping run the fishing trawlers that ran from Shetland to Norway during WWII. Not a part of the war I knew much about - the Norwegian crews were incredibly brave - they only sailed during the winter, and had to survive storms as well as German patrols.

I`m massively impressed with David Howarth`s books. His Waterloo and Trafalgar still stand out in my mind as true classics.

goat major

My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Ithoriel

14th and final book of the "Wheel of Time" series - definitely thick enough to count as a "tome"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

I am re reading the Allan Mallinson stuff, all a bit of fluff but good  fun
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Friedland

Quote from: sixsideddice on 07 August 2013, 11:54:40 PM

I`m massively impressed with David Howarth`s books. His Waterloo and Trafalgar still stand out in my mind as true classics.

Same here. Love his Napoleonic books - bought them both in a set for £2 from charity shop few years back. I'll definitely grab a copy of Shetland Bus.

NTM

Quote from: Fenton on 08 August 2013, 10:43:17 PM
... the Allan Mallinson stuff, all a bit of fluff but good  fun

Agreed though I've nor read any for some years now

Hertsblue

Ditto - never in the same league as O'Brien for historical atmosphere (but then, who is?)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Game ofBattleships by Toby Frost arrived today.
May need a few baths to finish this one!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Hi there           
          I'm in the process of reading Uniforms and Weapons of the Zulu War and thoroughly enjoying it amazingly it's over 30 years old now

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Friedland

'Gettysburg' by Stephen W Sears.

About two chapters in and already ordered two others of his ACW titles 'To the Gates of Richmond' and 'Landscape Turned Red'.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner