What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronan

Quote from: fsn on 15 July 2013, 12:33:45 PM
Why is it (and I'm not getting at anyone here) that if you see someone whose first language is not English reading in English, you think "well, that's very clever", but if you see someone whose first language is English reading in foreign, you think "show off"?

Or is it just me? 

Hello
I'm not sure I understood what you meant.   :-/

fsn

What I meant is that we are better at appreciating a non-native English speakers speaking English than we are native speakers speaking foreign. I suspect it's a jealousy thing. Possibly because there are so few English speakers who are bi-lingual.

Foreign speakers who talk English are coming into "our" environment and we can welcome them. English speakers speaking foreign is more unusual.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 15 July 2013, 03:52:09 PM
Possibly because there are so few English speakers who are bi-lingual.

Certainly compared to other nations !!
We're lucky......We just have to speak slowly and LOUDLY for the rest of the World to understand. ;)......At heart I think the British (including me) are somewhat lazy regarding other languages, which is why as fsn suggests, we think those that can are smart a**es.

Seriously though (for a change)....I always assume that our friends overseas learn English as a 'first choice' for a (their) foreign language, whereas over here, you're never sure whether to go for French, German, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic.....etc etc.

So....You folk who don't have English as your native tongue, is my assumption correct ?
IS English the first choice for a foreign language ?
There must be quite a number of countries as well, where there are at least two different languages (not including English) spoken within a single country.
But it's a very small World nowadays, isn't it ?......I love the fact that we've got folk on the forum from almost every corner of this planet !! :-bd

Cheers - Phil.

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 15 July 2013, 04:12:42 PM
......I love the fact that we've got folk on the forum from almost every corner of this planet !! :-bd

Including the remoter parts of Wales
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Matt J

Bought a couple of forum member recomendations for holiday reading - Vulcan 607 and Beevor's Normandy.
Managed to read Vulcan 607 while away and found it a cracking book. Now rippig through Beevor at a rate of knots and again not disappointed.

As to the language debate, just got back from the south of France (Carcassonne) and was vey reassured by the fact that every Fench person I spoke to had as much grasp of English as I have French! I hate nothing more than going abroad attempting the lingo and being dissed by perfect English responses.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Leon

I always feel quite embarassed on holiday, when my entire vocabulary consists of 'Ola' and 'Gracias'.  Even using those two feels like a bit of a sham... like I'm pretending I've got this wealth of Spanish at my fingertips...  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Thats because you are on holiday in France...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

HPFlashman

Dette var da en underlig diskusjon...
Best regards,

Harry

Leon

ronan

(...)I always assume that our friends overseas learn English as a 'first choice'
So....You folk who don't have English as your native tongue, is my assumption correct ?

You're right.. BUT some people choose their neighbour-country fisrt (ie. peolple in the south will learn spanish, in the south-east italian, in the north-east german)
Then you are seriously encouraged to pick english as your second foreign language.
My daughters could also choose chinese in theur college. Times are changing  ;)

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 15 July 2013, 04:48:19 PM
(...) just got back from the south of France (Carcassonne) and was vey reassured by the fact that every Fench person I spoke to had as much grasp of English as I have French! I hate nothing more than going abroad attempting the lingo and being dissed by perfect English responses.

You should go to "lost places" in France. No one could speak english or  understand you ( and sometimes I can't myself !  ;D )

HPFlashman

Best regards,

Harry

OldenBUA

When I grew up it wasn't. Being close to Germany meant you could get either two Dutch or several German TV channels. So I picked up German first. Then in school it was German, English and French.

Nowadays, with multiple channels (with many American programs), the internet and whatnot, I'm pretty sure English will be first choice over here.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.