What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Not a bad book FSN. I think I read it last year.

Picked up "Warsaw 1920" by Adam Zamoyski at the library yesterday, so looking forward to knowing more about this conflict (and also either gaming it or using some of the stuff for my AVBCW games :)).

FierceKitty

Quote from: mijalo on 19 April 2013, 06:44:11 PM
I've just about finished Samuel Hawley's 'The Imjin War', in my opinion the best work in English on Toyotimi Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea.
Now if a few more Ming figures became available....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

"Titans of History" by Simon Sebag Montefiore. Basically a book that presents potted histories of famous people who have shaped our World. So far an excellent book that often makes you want to find out more on some of the subjects, which is its aim really. The trouble is it makes you want to collect lots of armies to game some of the periods written about :D.

Hertsblue

Just started Marc Morris's A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain. This was a man who, at sixteen, was married and already a powerful political figure. Great stuff.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

HPFlashman

Hmm, as per now, its War in the Sudan 1884-1898 by Stuart Asquith, Khartoum 1885 and Omduran 1898 both by Donald Featherstone for some research, Out of Nowhere: A History of the Military Sniper by Martin M Pegler and The Happy Isles of Oceania by Paul Theroux, both for entertainment and other interests.  :)
Best regards,

Harry

Baconheimer

I am currently reading "The Divine Invasion" by Philip K Dick.

Techno

The Shark Mutiny by Patrick Robinson.
Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Re-reading the Battle for Geilenkirchen by Ken Ford.

Lived there when I was a kid, with BFPO. Had friends who dug up bullets and other things, but didn't really appreciate what had gone on.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DaveL

Hi.  Just finishing the final book in the trilogy about Atilla by William Napier.  Good stuff!

DaveL

burnaby64

Am falling about reading 'Achtung Schweinehund' by H Pearson. Some of it too close for comfort.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Just started 'Skymen' by Robert Kershaw, all about the history of paratroopers from the earliest inception up to the present day. So far so good.

Techno

Just started "Seconds Away" by Harlen Coben....Listening rather than reading, as per usual.
I think it's more of a book for youngsters.....But it'll help pass the time
I really must investigate.... and see if there are any of the books you lot find so useful, out there in audio format.
THEN it'll be a case of trying to bully the library van to get them in stock. ;)

Recommendations please chaps for books that just might be available in audio format.
Books dealing with "The Ancients" would be good for inspiration when I'm pushing the putty about.

(In truth, I doubt if there are going to be that many, as the 'reference' books that I know you all find so useful for info and inspiration probably rely a lot of diagrams/maps etc.......But you never know ! ;))

Cheers - Phil.

NTM

Quote from: fsn on 05 May 2013, 10:04:06 AM
Re-reading the Battle for Geilenkirchen by Ken Ford.

Always worth a re-read along with his Assault Crossing River Seine

Just finished Operation Epsom Over the Battlefield by Ian Daglish and Michael Reynolds Eagles and Bulldogs will be next (Pen & Sword just had a sale)

DaveL

Finished Atilla.  Now reading trilogy by Ross Leckie about Hannibal, Scipio and Carthage. Very enjoyable

DaveL