What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serotonin

Quote from: Last Hussar on 15 April 2013, 07:09:24 PM
The Psychopath test by Jon Ronson.

I just read that! As a mental health professional with a special interest in personality disorders, I was very impressed with it.

Serotonin

Im reading With Fire and Sword (Ogniem i mieczem)  by the Polish author Henryk Sienkiewicz to get me in the mood for By Fire and Sword the wargame.

fsn

I'm on a Korean War kick. I started it before the recent tension, and it's a chilling look back to what might be. My reading has encompassed:

Scorched Earth, Black Snow by Andrew Salmon
To the Last Round by Andrew Salmon
The Edge of the Sword by Anthony Farrah-Hockley
Pork Chop Hill by SLA Marshall
Infantry Operations & Weapons Usage by SLA Marshall
The Korean War by Max Hastings
The Korean War published by Osprey

Aside from the film of "Pork Chop Hill" with Gregory Peckl, I've also watched "A Hill in Korea" with a very young Michael Caine.

Now, if only some friendly 10mm manufacturer would get round to producing a Centurion.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

The Andrew Salmon book is very good as is the Max Hastings one. The Centurions tanks have been mastered so we just await a release date :D.

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Hertsblue

Quote from: fsn on 16 April 2013, 06:36:36 PM
I'm on a Korean War kick. I started it before the recent tension, and it's a chilling look back to what might be. My reading has encompassed:

Scorched Earth, Black Snow by Andrew Salmon
To the Last Round by Andrew Salmon
The Edge of the Sword by Anthony Farrah-Hockley
Pork Chop Hill by SLA Marshall
Infantry Operations & Weapons Usage by SLA Marshall
The Korean War by Max Hastings
The Korean War published by Osprey

Aside from the film of "Pork Chop Hill" with Gregory Peckl, I've also watched "A Hill in Korea" with a very young Michael Caine.

Now, if only some friendly 10mm manufacturer would get round to producing a Centurion.

Read the Max Hastings book. If the Chinese had known then what they know now.....
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kustenjaeger

Greetings

Years ago I picked up the 2 volume British Official History of the war in Korea remaindered - I'll have to dig it out.

Regards

Edward

FierceKitty

I've finally got my hands on Runciman's history of the crusades. It's a real page-turner. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Malbork

Read that some years ago and you're right it's excellent.

The new one by Asbridge is not bad either if that's your current interest :)

General Bt Sherman

I'm listing to Hitler's Rockets by Norman Longmate.

Bryan
Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

mijalo

I've just about finished Samuel Hawley's 'The Imjin War', in my opinion the best work in English on Toyotimi Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea.

clibinarium

Totally agree, though there's not much in English written on it. Kenneth Swope's book does provide a good Chinese perspective, but just wasn't as interesting a read.

YORSTONS

Just finished The Spanish Civil War by Mr Beevor and have started Bernard Falls Street Without Joy.

ryman1

Just finished 'The Zulu kings' by Brian Roberts, a wonderful and well researched biography of the zulu kings from the inception of the kingdom to the woes of the king that never was - Dinizulu.
Highly recommend it to anyone looking to gain an insight into the foundations of British colonial intervention and the precarious kingship of the Zulu nation.

A mate picked it up in Oxfam for me for 2 quid so absolutely chuffed and definitely one to be re-read every few years.

Moving on to 'Revolutionary Boston, Lexington and Concord - the shots heard 'round the world' by Joseph Andrews.

Cheers

Ry

fsn

I've a few chapters into "The Battle of the Rhine 1944", by Robin Neillands.

First book that I've read in a while that suggests Montgomery was actually any good as a general. He had, in fact more real experience than any five American generals in NW Europe in 1944. Also suggests that Eisenhower over extended himself and that Patton was a bit of a one trick pony.

Perhaps because this panders to my own logically arrived at, reasoned prejudices that I'm really enjoying it.

But nobody must tell me how it ends.  :-X