What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Black and Blue - Ian Rankin....'Stormingly' enjoyable.
Now you see her - James Patterson..... 'Thriller'....Convoluted, with a somewhat daft plot....But I still listened all the way through.
Now onto.... Taken - By Robert Crais.....Another 'thriller'.....Again a bit OTT....But still quite fun to help pass the time.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Young Hussar: French Cavalryman of the Napoleonic Wars at Marengo, Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau and Friedland by Baron de Marbot
This is one of three in a series that a friend lent me the series, very enjoyable, once you get over the archaic and naive writing style!!!
Short enough chapters to read in chunks without loosing the long term history (he's besieged in Genoa at the moment and it's going REALLY badly)!   :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mart678

Warlords and Holy men Scotland AD 80 to 1000 get me ready for playing Scots in SAGA
also Burma the turning point

Martin

i_am_win

i'm reading a review copy of the new osprey "jason and the argonauts", its not bad if your into greek mythology (which I am...)
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

mijalo

Peter Turchin's 'War and peace and War - The Rise and fall of Empires'; so far very interesting.

Hertsblue

Quote from: mad lemmey on 04 February 2013, 09:13:01 AM
The Young Hussar: French Cavalryman of the Napoleonic Wars at Marengo, Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau and Friedland by Baron de Marbot
This is one of three in a series that a friend lent me the series, very enjoyable, once you get over the archaic and naive writing style!!!
Short enough chapters to read in chunks without loosing the long term history (he's besieged in Genoa at the moment and it's going REALLY badly)!   :D

Marbot appears in the bibliographies of many serious historical works on the Napoleonic Wars. He has to be treated cautiously, however, since the concensus seems to be that he was not above embroidering the facts if it meant his own part appeared more heroic.  :-\
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Almost certainly, I wouldn't expect anything more or less of a retired Napoleonic General trying to win favour with the restored monachy.  ;D However, it's a riotous read!  ;)
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Vulcan 607 about Black Buck attack on Port Stanley.  Doesn't just cover the raid, but the scramble by the RAF to get SOMETHING in place, including trying to get the Vulcans ready for air to air refuelling, because the tubes had been blocked (They found the bit they needed- on another airfield being used as a ashtray), the compressed training to get the crews ready - the instructor had to compress Night Qualification into one night so he was qualified to teach the Vulcan crews.  Only half way through - its in the kitchen at work, so I read 2-3 pages while waiting for the kettle.

Best bit so far (even better than Vulcan Crews keep spanking USAF at Red Flag etc) was when the Argentinian newspapers were screaming how British SUbs had been detected round the Falklands, and the Argentians had to airlift every thing, rather than go by boat.  This was confusing for our Military Attache at the UN, as he knew the closest 2 were still hundreds of miles away.  He is talking to the French Ambassador, when a Soviet Admiral walks past, and with out stopping says "Our submarines are being helpful to you?"
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now read Nigel 'Sharky' Ward's version of events 'Sea Harrier Over the Falklands: A Maverick at War', no love lost between FAA and the RAF then...

Hertsblue

Vulcan 607 is a great book. So is Rowland White's next book Phoenix Squadron about the dash of HMS Ark Royal to Honduras to save the colony from invasion by Guatamalan troops. You wouldn't believe it if it were fiction. It's not.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Steve J

Vulcan 607 sounds a fascinating read!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Brilliant book, better than Vulcan I thought, must have read it in about 24 hours, without a break, a few summers back!

I loved the Florida National Guard reaction to events!

Si Tyler

On my reading stand:

Through German Eyes:  The British and the Somme 1916 by Christopher Duffy.  German assessment of the British and Empire forces during the period of the Battle of the Somme.  
The Eleven Days of Christmas:  SAC Account of the Linebacker raids in 1972.
One Day in a Long War:  Assessement of the activities on 10 May 1972.
Phoenix Squadron, by Rowland White.
Blood, Steel, Myth: The II.SS-Panzer-Korps and the Road to Prochorowka

Malbork

Biography of Manstein - we are just approaching Sevastopol and Manstein's soemwhat equivocal handling of the Commissar Order..

Duffy's The '45 - background for planning a 10 mm Culloden campaign

Phil Rickman's latest Dr Dee novel - title escapes me for the moment but a damned good read  8)

Phobos

Los sueños de los que está hecha la materia. Don´t know its title in english, sorry. Compendium of original texts of Quantic mechanic, with explanations of S HAwking. Really interesting, but my knowledge of the subject is a bit rusty, so it´s being a bit hard.

The Selfish Gene, Rcihard Dawkins. A relecture, I´m enjoying it even more than the first time ^^