What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

World War Two by John Keegan. Bought it in the '80s and haven't read it since. Picked it off the bookshelf whilst waiting for the family to return and haven't looked back since :). Excellent author and a great read.

goat major

A collection of short stories by Robert Silverberg. One of my favourite sci fi short story authors from the days when all sci fi appeared to come in the form of a large yellow hardback in the local library
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Hertsblue

Christmas acquisitions to the reading stack included:

Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs by Lewis Page. A no-holds-barred expose of waste and blundering in the Military.

VC Heroes by Nigel Cawthorne - the stories of every VC winner since WW2

The Titanic Secret by Jack Steel - a spy thriller set pre WW1, pacy but a little light on authenticity.

Shadow of the Scorpion by Neal Asher. Another in the Agent Cormac series, blood and guts in the far future.

Also Mr Midshipman Easy by Captain Marryat on the e-book for in-car reading. (No, not while driving)  :P

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

sixsideddice

Ahhh   finally back; I had no internet the WHOLE of Christmas and New Year, uuuugh was tearing my hair out.

Still, it gave me a chance to catch up on my reading:

Curently reading (and have just read):

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Zulu Nation

The Steampunk Trilogy

Book Three of Game of Thrones

Maenoferren

The one ring and Primeval role playing games :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

J.S.

Etling's Swords Around A Throne: Napoleon's Grande Armee. A great read  :-bd

+  From Eylau to Friedland: The Polish Campaign, 1807 by  Francois Guy Hourtoulle. Awkward translation sometimes, but nice and helpful pictures; I'd recommend this one.

just ordered those:

for me:

for my grandfather..but 'll probably also read it:
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Over Xmas I read:
Lords of The Bow by Conn Iggulden - violent and fun!
Hydrogen Sonata by Ian M Banks - superb and uplifting.
Zero Point by Neal Ascher, superb and gritty.
Now am back at work, the reading has stopped!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Quote from: goat major on 02 January 2013, 09:29:11 AM
A collection of short stories by Robert Silverberg. One of my favourite sci fi short story authors from the days when all sci fi appeared to come in the form of a large yellow hardback in the local library

I didn't realise they used to have stories in the yellow pages
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A dictionary: Not much of a storyline but at least it explains it as you read on...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

As usual, listening rather than reading...
Now on to "Claudius" by Douglas Jackson....Fiction...And not being an historical expert on the period, I don't know just how much of it is based on fact.
Not sure about Claudius Hefferlump being taken to 'Britain' ?
But I'm thoroughly enjoying it anyway.
Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Drawing from the mists of time I think Claudius' hefferlump is fact,  but I wouldn't bet hard cash on it!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It must be true, it's in I CLVDIVS!  :-\

Techno

Right then...

So...Is it true that Claudius came to Britain to 'take the credit' as a political move to 'big himself up' in the eyes of the Roman people.....and his hefferlump had been taken there in advance, with all its finery, so he could ride it around and impress the Brits ? :-\

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

He was here, that is known. The elephants however...

DaveH

Flashman at the Charge - George MacDonald Fraser

The Spanish Ulcer - David Gates

And a couple of sets of rules.