What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

Quote from: fsn on 22 June 2022, 03:48:38 PMWhat I'm not reading but should be is:

Purchased on Amazon in February with a publication date of June 15th. Now showing as "not in stock. Helion site says "in Autumn 2022 releases."  >:(
Yes, am awaiting that one too, to see if he picks up all the units I have found out about, or adds anything new.

If you want something Ottoman to read in the interim, I still have a few copies of Tangiers to Tehran, a wargamers guide to Napoleonic Arab armies c1780-1825 left, no colour but 100 line drawings, maps, OOBs and potted histories of each nation. £20 UK post included.

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

pierre the shy

FP - Shouldn't that last post be in the joke section?  :-X  ;) 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I rather suspect it was serious.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kustenjaeger

1. Key to the Sinai - the battles for Abu Agelia in the 1956 and 1967 wars, George Gawrych

Partly prompted by the new Arab-Israeli releases (albeit for 1973) I wanted to read something focused on a particular action.

Very interesting especially the good performance by the outnumbered Egyptian defenders in 1956 and the different (and flawed) command control in 1967.

2. Love Loyalty - the close and perilous siege of Basing House during the English Civil War, William Embleton.

Basing House is not that far from where I live.  It was even closer to where I grew up and my father grew up closer still in the 1930s and could remember tunnels that were accessible to young boys!  Looking at the barn still marked by ECW shot is quite impressive. 

Edward

Raider4

Just finished the five books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Sad the sixth book is still not available (11 years and counting).

flamingpig0

QuoteJust finished the five books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Sad the sixth book is still not available (11 years and counting).

Are you aware of Joe Abercrombie's"First Law Trilogy" ?
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Raider4

QuoteAre you aware of Joe Abercrombie's"First Law Trilogy" ?
I am, and have read the first. Enjoyed it.

kipt

Finished "Engels As Military Critic" with an introduction by W.O. Henderson and W. H. Chaloner. Engels, as well as a partner with Marx on his theories, had an interest in things military. He had the nickname of "The General" from his political associates.

He wrote articles for both English papers and for the New York Daily Tribune. This book has his articles on the volunteer movement in England (10 articles), the History of the rifle (9 articles), the French Army (8 articles), the Civil war in America (2 articles), the Schleswig-Holstein War, 1864 (1 article) and the Seven weeks War, 1866 (5 articles).  In these last, Engels does not give Prussia much chance against the Austrians as he follows it week to week.  And as the war goes on his view obviously changes, attributing the Prussian victory to the speed of advance and the needle gun, as well as Austrian blunders.

Very interesting.

kipt

Finished the "Gettysburg Magazine" January 2022 Issue 68.

Published twice per year here are some of the articles(out of 10 total);

The Events and Actions of Battery B, 1st New York Light Artillery, on July 2, 1863.
Confusion over the 2nd Connecticut Light Battery: Here's What it Really Did at Gettysburg.
Fifteen Men per Monument: The 27th Connecticut at Gettysburg.
"His Information Was Always Accurate and Reliable": John S. Moseby and the Beginning of the Gettysburg Campaign.

Always interesting articles.

Steve J

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. Probably some 30 or more years since I read this, which I'm doing as part of getting back into the Cold War milieu. An excellent read and one which I'm really, really enjoying :) .

kipt

Finished "The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story Of The Men Who Risked All For The Greatest Rescue Mission Of World War II" by Gregory A. Freeman.

this is a story, almost written like a novel, about over 500 bomber crews rescued from Yugoslavia.  These men had baled out of their planes after damage from raids on the Ploesti oil fields.  At the time, there were two groups fighting the Nazis; Tito's Communist Partizans and Draza Mihailovich, who was a Royalist.

British intelligence backed Tito who had been constantly confronting the Germans, regardless of reprisals on the Serbian people.  Also, Communist moles in British intelligence pushed the Tito program, and said the Mihailovich was a traitor who compromised with the Nazis.

This story is about those men rescued by the peasants and soldiers from Mihailovich's area, who hailed the airmen as liberators, fighting against the Germans.  the operation to rescue the men, which was discouraged by the British, was named Operation Halyard and consisted in leveling a 700 yard landing area in the mountains where Mihailovich had his army. 

Using OSS men contact was made and eventually C-47's were able to land and take out 12 men per trip.  Ultimately this went on for months, saving over 500 men.  The whole operation was silenced suring the war so the Germans would not penalize the Serbian civilians, and because at this time both the US and Britain considered Mihailovich a traitor.  The 500+ who were rescued never saw anything to indicate traitorous dealings, but Stalin was guiding Tito and the propaganda was against hi.

After the war, with Tito dictator in Yugoslavia, Mihailovich was hunted down, arrested, put on a show trial and executed by firing squad.  The US airmen had tried, through the State Department, to testify for Mihailovich but were met with refusals, so as not to rock the boat.  They finally did get the state department to send testimony, but the Yugoslavians refused to accept anything.

Truman was eventually convinced to give Mihailovich a posthumous Legion of Merit, but because of the Cold War even this was kept secret for 20+ years.  Several of the aging rescuees were able to finally present the award to Mihailovich's daughter, sixty years after the end of WWII.

Raider4

Zona Alfa rulebook, which led me onto Roadside Picnic, which I'd never heard of before. Interesting.

Also led me to watch Stalker, which again I'd never heard of. Apparently one of the best films ever made, but I found it overlong, dull, pretentious and preachy. Available on YouTube if you're interested.

toxicpixie

Just finished a reread of "Recollections of Rifleman Bowlby".

Cracking.

Highly recommended for a view from the sharp end of a British infantry unit.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

Waterloo by Tim Clayton. Just got to the end of Quatre Bras and Ligny and so far a superb read. Highly recommended.