Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Quote from: Leman on 15 April 2016, 07:55:15 PM
'What, are you currently Reading?'

'No, this week I have mostly been Ipswich.'

It took me a couple of attempts to figure out the joke  :-[

Barks South Folk.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Tawa

Quote from: Leman on 15 April 2016, 07:55:15 PM
'What, are you currently Reading?'

'No, this week I have mostly been Ipswich.'

You must be Barking.....
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

KTravlos

Books finished

Peter Wallensteen "Quality Peace" (work)

Yoshiki Tanaka "Legend of Galactic Heroes, Vol 1. Dawn" (Fun)

Yoshikazu Yasuhiko "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, Vols I&II" (Fun)

Daniel J. Vermilya "Battle of Kennesaw Mountain" (Hobby)

Books Reading

Christopher Clark "Iron Kingdom" (Hobby)

Carl von Clauzewitz "On War" (Work, second reading)

Edward Lutttwak "Strategy" (Work, second reading)

Books On the pipeline

Gary Goertz, Paul F. Diehl, Alexandru Balas "The Pule of Peace" (Work)

Nuno Monteiro "Theory of Unipolar Politics" (Work)

E.R. Horton "Prelude to the First World War: The Balkan Wars 1912-1913" (Hobby)

Michael Embree "Radetzky's Marches" (Hobby. Started it but had to take a break from it due to work. Need to get back to it)

mollinary

Luttwak on Strategy, an old but absolutely seminal work.  I read it at University more years ago than I care to remember, and got a second copy when I started working at SHAPE in 2005.  I found much of his thought interesting in the context of the current day problems of Afghanistan/ Pakistan.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

Since I've not been well. (I know, I haven't mentioned it, I just carry on bravely), I have saved a small amount in food shopping and travel costs. This, I reason, is money that needs to be spent, so when recovered, I popped in to the Liverpool Waterstones, clutching as well as my lunch money, tow of their £10 off loyalty cards.

I came away with 4 Ospreys. The SM79 Torpedo Bomber, Fall Gelb, and both Light and Heavy cavalry tactics of the Napoleonic Wars.

I spent last night reading the Fall Gelb, to get my 1940 Low Countries juices flowing.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Well, bit of a turn up for me, but Sharpe's Rifles. I think I am most likely to do Napoleonic using Lasalle.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

oldblindjohn

Outside of a dog a book is mans' best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Chris Pringle

A Painted History of Poland
http://www.polartcenter.com/A_Painted_History_Of_Poland_p/9820133.htm

A trophy from a recent visit to the Polish Army Museum in Warsaw. This is a fabulous book. It explores Poland's history through 48 historical paintings, mostly military. Each one gets a couple of pages of analysis by an art historian, followed by several pages of in-depth historical background complete with maps and illustrations. I am learning a lot.

Do Pendraken do any suitable figures for the Chicken War of 1537?

Chris
Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

JeffNNN

Having recently finished John Gooch's book on the Italian Army in WW1 I'm now on to Emilio Lusso "A soldier on the Southern Front" which is a first hand account of warfare on the Italian Front. Rather lazily I'm reading it in translation..

Not sure if it will lead to any gaming though Leon doubtless hopes so. Then I'd have to buy the Italians I bought to fight the Austrians I bought to fight the Russians I bought to fight the Germans I bought to fight the French I bought to fight alongside Tony's (Tiny Tin Troops) British. Sigh!!!!

Leman

Enjoyed that so much I am now reading Sharpe's Eagle.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 25 April 2016, 03:48:52 PM
Enjoyed that so much I am now reading Sharpe's Eagle.

Be careful about publicising this - someone is bound to tell you who wins!  ;)

Mollinary

kipt

Finished "For God And Kaiser: the Imperial Austrian Army" by Richard Bassett,  Very good book; well researched and entertaining.  As Christopher Duffy says "An accessible English-language survey of the Habsburg army...".

The run up to WWI was better explained here than in other books I have read.

fsn

Decided to have a total hobby day today. Painting some castle walls, trains and late Normans.

Listening to/half watching Michael Wood's "In Search of the Trojan War". This has re-re-re-kindled my desire for some Pendraken chariot armies, and I've grabbed the accompanying book off my shelf to have a gander at tonight.

The thing that gets me is that the series originally aired in 1985. That's over 30 years ago! Mickey was jabbering on about East Berlin!

Now that makes me feel very old.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: fsn on 01 May 2016, 08:28:09 PM
Decided to have a total hobby day today. Painting some castle walls, trains and late Normans.

Listening to/half watching Michael Wood's "In Search of the Trojan War". This has re-re-re-kindled my desire for some Pendraken chariot armies, and I've grabbed the accompanying book off my shelf to have a gander at tonight.

The thing that gets me is that the series originally aired in 1985. That's over 30 years ago! Mickey was jabbering on about East Berlin!

Now that makes me feel very old.

But it was cutting edge when he made it. I found it magnificent, totally unpatronising, but full of detailed archaeological analysis.  Great to hear it is still inspiring!

Mollinary

Steve J

I can't believe it is 30 years old  :o