What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "Nery, 1914: The Adventure of the German 4th Cavalry Division on the 31st August and the 1st September" by Major A.F. Becke.

A short booklet, published by The Naval and Military Press.  Evidently taken from a larger book as the pagination was from 307 to 369. 

It shows and discusses the movement and combat of the referenced German division.  I enjoyed it.

kipt

Finished "Battlefields in Miniature: Making Realistic and effective Terrain for Wargames" by Paul Davies.

Good pictures, good examples, good tips.  I won't be making most of it, but will get into roads and rivers at some point.  I'm not satisfied with the terrain I have for these.

kipt

Finished "Civil War Infantry Tactics; Training, Combat, and Small-Unit Effectiveness" by Earl J. Hess.

Amazing book.  If you are interested in the ACW I say this is a must have.  If you are interested in the horse and musket period (say 1700 though 1876) you should read this book.  It explains linear tactics extremely well.

Very detailed movements by units; actual vs the theoretical. Just a well crafted book.  I can't say enough about it.

Subedai

The Mongol War Machine by Chris Peers. This is the first military book I have started reading for about 18 months.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Roy

The Devil's Assassin.

Paul Fraser Collard.

British Army, Victorian, Fiction.

###

Star Wars X-Wing rules
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

fsn

I'm having some chap read me "Chancellorsville and Gettysburg" by Abner Doubleday. (No, that is a real name.) I find that audio books are really useful when I'm doing other stuff - like cooking, painting or de-quilling a porcupine. .

My favourite site is Librivox. https://librivox.org/ where public domain books are read by volunteers. You can listen for free.

While I'm promoting great stuff on the intranet, then if you like oddball facts, try "No Such Thing as a Fish" performed by the QI Elves. http://qi.com/podcast/

Again free, it's funny and informative. First fact this week - "the first water balloons were made out of socks." This leads to such oddities as "you're not allowed a water pistol on the campus of Texas University, but you can have a real gun" and during the Gulf War US soldiers wanted to use silly string to detect trip wires, but the US military couldn't ship it because it was a dangerous cargo.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

I say I say I say How do you de quill a porcupine?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

I don't know.....How DO you de-quill a porcupine ?

(If the answer's "Very carefully,".... Someone will get a slap !

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Well, I give them a big cuddle. The question then is "how do you de-quill FSN?"
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Tawa

Quote from: fsn on 27 February 2016, 02:55:04 PM
Well, I give them a big cuddle. The question then is "how do you de-quill FSN?"

Butter.
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 27 February 2016, 12:54:32 PM
I don't know.....How DO you de-quill a porcupine ?

(If the answer's "Very carefully,".... Someone will get a slap !

Cheers - Phil

Very VERY carfully......and don't even think about the slap......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

Back on topic.  Finished "the Affair at Nery: 1 September 1914" by Patrick Takle.  Its a Battleground Early Battles booklet.  More detailed than the Nery book I mentioned above.  Which book is also referenced in the bibliography.  I enjoyed it; a fast read.

I'm thinking of doing this as a FPW combat.  Mitrailleuse instead of Brit MG's, French instead of Brits, a Prussian Jager unit instead of their MG's.

Could be interesting.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

BBC 2013 adaptation of Neverwhere on 4exra iplayer was jolly fun last night. All star cast too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner