What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 01 October 2015, 09:25:34 AM
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/04/the-origin-of-humpty-dumpty/

Or "brandy boiled with ale". That one I have not heard before. 

Interesting find. Makes me wonder if the cannon reference should maybe be referring to a howitzer instead seeing as it short and dumpy compared to normal cannon
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Tawa

So, I finished "The Silver Spitfire" last night, and this afternoon at work I made a start on "Black Hearts: One platoons descent into madness in Iraq's Triangle of Death".
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Westmarcher

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 September 2015, 10:56:57 PM
"Humpty Dumpty"

And everyone else thought "Humpty Dumpty" was boring. Liked the gun theories, FK and Fenton but, for me, I think fsn has cracked it with the brandy boiled with ale - I think I might just try that!

Tawa - I would also recommend Main Battle Tank about the Brits in Basra in the first Gulf War. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Roy

Ian Knight:
The Anatomy of the Zulu Army
from Shaka to Cetshwayo 1818 - 1879

Reading it for research and ideas for a play by mail game I'm playing in, The Glory of Kings by Agema Publications.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Tawa

Quote from: Westmarcher on 02 October 2015, 09:15:59 AM
Tawa - I would also recommend Main Battle Tank about the Brits in Basra in the first Gulf War. 

I shall have a looksy for that :)
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

bigjackmac

I'm continuing my Solomons kick with "Islands of Destiny."

I also just bought a cool solitaire game by Berserker Games called "Marine Fighter Squadron" that I'll be using for an upcoming air-land-sea campaign set there in the Solomons.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Just finished listening to "The dying hours" by Mark Billingham. (Cop/Thriller story.)
Very good.

Cheers - Phil

howayman

In the middle of Panzer Battles by Major-General FW von Mellenthin.
Some interesting stuff on the North African Campaign.
Still got Russia and Western Eueope to go.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Beano Annual 2015, the other half of my birthday pressie from my old man!
Interesting mix of old (90s) strips and modern.
Only the Bash Street Kids and Little Plum work in the modern, others are too self reverential! All strips are funny, but too often relying on fart jokes...
Dennis really has dropped in standards, and I really don't let me the idea of all the parents being 'modern' especially Minnie and Roger the Dodgers! Bully Whizzes is still the same though!
The artistic quality has also dropped except Calamity James, The Bash Street Kids and Pup Parade.
7/10.

Oh, and I won't mention a couple of notable defections from The Dandy'!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kipt

Finished "A Call to Arms" the latest in the Honorverse series.  Space combat at its best.

This one written by David Weber with Timothy Zahn and Thomas Pope.  Seems like a bunch of popular authors can only keep up if they add co-writers.

Techno

Finished listening to "Shakespeare's Rebel." (C.C. Humphries)....Very enjoyable.
BTW......How do you spell (I think it was) "Bashrumi"......That's what it sounded like, anyway.
I've only ever heard that used once before, by Percy in Blackadder II.

Now listening to "The Pursuit" by Peter Smalley

Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Quote from: Techno on 09 October 2015, 04:45:10 PM

BTW......How do you spell (I think it was) "Bashrumi"......That's what it sounded like, anyway.
I've only ever heard that used once before, by Percy in Blackadder.

Cheers - Phil

Can you give us any context, or am I missing something really obvious?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

It seems to along the lines of "Gadzooks !", or "Hey Nonny, Nonny," M.
(I tried an on-line Elizabethan 'dictionary' without success.)

Maybe it's starts with a "P" ?
I'll try and find the episode of Blackadder where I think I've heard it before.... Believe it's the episode where Blackadder tries to host two very different parties at the same time.
Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Well, Google-Fu to the rescue!  I am afraid you got close Phil, but no cigar.  A quick look at the script for the Episode "Beer" in Blackadder II rapidly brought me to Percy:  Beshrew me, Blackadder!      :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!