What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished the "U.S Army Tactics Field Manual" put out by the Department of the Army.  Quite a slog - 476 pages.  Not something you refer to in the heat of combat.  Lots of army abbreviations - I need to make a list for reference.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Bet that was real page turning stuff. What edition ?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

The expurgated version - the one without the M16.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

kipt

Re: "Tactics Field Manual".  It doesn't have an edition number, but says copyright 2013 by N=Morris Book Publishing..  Also has listed Lyons Press and Globe Pequot Press.  But it is an Army manual done by private printers(?)

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Vardy. Only the second novel I've ever come across about the FPW (the other being The Debacle). At the moment the central character is in Metz and bad news, plus many wounded, is flowing in non-stop. Ooer missus!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Just finished a very different book for me.  "The Art of Forgery" by Noah Charney.  I heard him on National Public Radio discussing art forgery and decided to get and read his book.  It talks about thefts, copies, forgeries.

The only thing vaguely military in it (other than looting in wars) was a scandal from the British Museum when they had an exhibit of the Chinese Terra Cotta Warriors that were not antique. (Evidently they were "authentic" in the Chinese thinking, actual copies, but not antique).

Leman

Have interrupted my current novel to read 'The Agony of Belgium - August-December 1914', by Major Fox, who was a war correspondent in Belgium at the time. This is a synthesis of his reports, published in book form in 1915. It is the only book I have come across specifically on the Belgian campaign and I have discovered stuff I didn't know, such as the bombing of Antwerp by Zeppelin, and the successes of the Belgian field army when the Germans transferred troops from the west to the east. For a short period the main forces confronting the Belgians were 2nd line troops, who were given a bit of a bloody nose. However, once the Germans reorganised themselves the Belgians didn't stand a chance. There are a few passages of propaganda on the frightfulness of the Germans, only to be expected in a wartime publication, but at least Fox acknowledges that some of his reporting may have been inaccurate. The prose moves at a rollicking pace and makes good background reading for my proposed campaign, especially his description of Carabiniers Cyclistes working in concert with armoured cars. The book lacks maps (only one, of the forts round Antwerp) and illustrations.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

The English Civil War, A People's History by Diane Purkiss. The style of writing is taking a bit of getting used to, but so far plenty of good background info for games and scenarios.

Tawa

Just getting ready to start "The Silver Spitfire" by Wing Commander Tom Neil.

Quote from: Steve J on 05 September 2015, 04:25:25 PM
The English Civil War, A People's History by Diane Purkiss.

Dammit. That's another one to add to my pile.....  :o
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

kipt

Finished "Guadalcanal" by Richard Franks.  Great book and second time I have read it.  Forgot I had it and bought another copy.

Great detail on air, land and sea.   Our group is currently refighting the Solomons Campaign by ODGW so it was very timely.

Glorfindel

>>'The English Civil War, 1642-1651, an Illustrated Military History' by P Haythornthwaite.

Good choice.   This also started me on my ECW quest a few months ago.   Great to dip into
even though, I understand, some of the 'uniform' pics have been brought into question.   I
must admit that, in 10mm, this becomes less of an issue !

Phil

jambo1

Quote from: Glorfindel on 13 September 2015, 09:30:23 AM
>>'The English Civil War, 1642-1651, an Illustrated Military History' by P Haythornthwaite.

Good choice.   This also started me on my ECW quest a few months ago.   Great to dip into
even though, I understand, some of the 'uniform' pics have been brought into question.   I
must admit that, in 10mm, this becomes less of an issue !

Phil

Snap!! Me too, got a cheapo copy of e-bay and have been giving it all my attention too, I am starting out on a 10mm ECW project too, also got some battle guides coming from Caliver.

Glorfindel

Another title I've read recently is "Empires of the Sea" by Roger Crowley, looking
at the conflict between Spain and the Ottomans in the Med between 1521 and
1580 (Siege of Malta, Siege of Rhodes, Lepanto etc).   Not an area I've considered
before but very inspiring.

Very much enjoyed his style of writing.

This led to me watching the animated Battle of Mohacs (1526) on Youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIgp1davEY

Great stuff.   This in turn made me look at the Ottomans (perhaps of the later
period, Siege of Vienna 1683).   The beautifully painted examples on the Pendraken
site have pushed me over the edge and made me want to do this as another project.

Nightmare !   Too much inspiration, too little cash and time.

Phil

kipt

Finished another different book.  "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky.  He has also written a book on Cod.

In any event this book was actually fascinating.  Lots of facts from ancient times to now.