What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: toxicpixie on 16 August 2015, 02:46:44 PM
"C is for Cthulu" and wondering if Mrs Pixie would kill me if I printed it out for the wee one for her birthday...
"H is for Hastur, oh no, you've said it!"

Spotted "At the Mountains Of Madness" as 5 'episoder' on Radio 4 Extra yesterday....That should be worth a listen. :)
Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

That'll be good listening for work then!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

kipt

Finished issue 51 of the "Gettysburg Magazine".  Articles such as "The Baltimore Pike Artillery Line" and "Cavalry on the Right! The Battle for Brinkerhoff's Ridge".

Techno

Quote from: toxicpixie on 18 August 2015, 09:09:20 AM
That'll be good listening for work then!

Ho, Yus !!

(Sometimes I almost curse Nobby for putting me 'onto' the iPlayer.....I never seem to be able to catch up !.... ;D ;D ;D ;D... ;))

Cheers - Phil

Husaria

Hi all,

I've been reading "For God and Kaiser-The Imperial Austrian Army", by Richard Bassett (Yale).

I came across this title whilst browsing on Amazon and I'm really pleased I ordered it; it's an excellent read and, so far, full of interesting accounts of engagements, characters and fascinating anecdotes. It's arranged chronologically and the first chapters have covered the TYW, wars with Ottoman empire and now onto Eugene's campaigns during the WSS. I'm really enjoying it and it's great to find something in English covering the military history of the Habsburg Empire down the ages.

As I've got a an Austrian Napoleonic Army, I'm looking forward to how that period is covered, but also the accounts of WW1 sound interesting.

This is far from dry reading and it's different to read an account that challenges the oft expressed view that Austrian armies were poorly led and fought badly.
Recommended.

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Ocean At The End of The Lane by Neil Gaiman. Brilliant, devoured it in a day!:)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Chad

kipt

Read Chris Pringle's "Bloody Big Battles" rules and the BBEB scenario book.  The rules appear to owe a lot to Fire and Fury/Age of Eagles, but that is not a bad thing.  It has some changes I like: halt an attack, recover lost stands.  Not sure if 2D6 are really better than 1D10, but the 2 dice do produce a bell curve.

I probably will use the maps in the scenarios for some FPW games, but using my adaptation of "Snappy Nappy", "Sappy Nappy".

kipt

Finished "The Fateful Lightning" by Jeff Shaara (whose father did "Killer Angles" - battle of Gettysburg),

This book is the last of a 4 volume series on the ACW, a novel.  It deals with Sherman's March to the Sea, after the fall of Atlanta.

Another good read.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Ploughing through Dave Alsop's research archive, which was passed to me by another club member. Request on behalf of the editor of SOTCW Journal, is the Eastern Front Association still active.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

'The English Civil War, 1642-1651, an Illustrated Military History' by P Haythornthwaite. Just started for some more info for my 'The Pikeman's Lament' companies and for future Pike & Shotte games. So far so good with some nice little details that are perfect for small scale actions.

haupt

Just listened to The Shepperds Crown by Mr. Pratchett, the abridged version, ( I like Tony Robinsons voice characterizations .) Typical Pratchett. There won't ....be... any ...more.....man cough     (sob).

Ithoriel

Just finished Angus Konstam's "Sovereigns of the Seas" which was both very readable and informative.

Now about to launch into "Warfare In The Ancient Near East To 1600BC: Holy Warriors at the Dawn of History" by William J. Hamblin. Aiming to increase my knowledge of the first 50% of Military History!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data