What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakblair

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 August 2015, 10:55:53 PM
So you're fine with rooting for one set of murdering slavers but not another ... ???

Each to their own I suppose.

Yes I'm fine with it. I'm sure we all hold some degree of hypocrisy.

Ithoriel

A degree of hypocrisy? First class honours in my case :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

cameronian

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 August 2015, 01:09:41 PM
Just started Angus Konstam's "Sovereigns of the Seas: The quest to build the perfect Renaissance battleship." Only got to the introduction, so far!

Good chap Angus and a stalwart wargamer.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "The Battleship Builders: Constructing and Arming British Capital Ships" by Ian Johnston and Ian Buxton.

Discusses the companies that built the ships and the various parts that went in them - hull, machinery, armor (Yankee spelling; armour in the book) and guns.  Gives prices and manpower.

There was collusion amongst the armor makers, with profits up to 100% of the price.  The hulls however, sometimes were done at a loss.

Fenton

Just finished reading The thirty years war by CV Wedgewood

I am now now more confused than I was at the start
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

Blandford Colour Series Uniforms of the Peninsular War 1807 - 1814 by P Haythornthwaite.

Nice introduction to the conflict for a future project. Lots of opportunity for distinctive looking units due to the waer and tear both sides suffered to their uniforms and equipment.

Hwiccee

Quote from: Fenton on 15 August 2015, 05:50:39 PM
Just finished reading The thirty years war by CV Wedgewood

I am now now more confused than I was at the start

I would try - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Europes-Tragedy-History-Thirty-Years-ebook/dp/B002TJLETG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439660338&sr=8-1&keywords=thirty+years+war -

Kindle version is free in the UK at the moment.

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Quote from: Steve J on 15 August 2015, 06:09:34 PM
Blandford Colour Series Uniforms of the Peninsular War 1807 - 1814 by P Haythornthwaite.

Nice introduction to the conflict for a future project. Lots of opportunity for distinctive looking units due to the waer and tear both sides suffered to their uniforms and equipment.

:-bd
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

By the way, has anyone read "Orphan Eagles: Polish Armies of the Napoleonic Wars" by Vincent W. Rospond

It calls me from Amazon, but ...

but ...

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Very well written, nice pace and great details.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

The Golden Gate. Not the first perusal, but it's worth revisiting from time to time.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ace of Spades

Just finished 'The Campaign in Afghanistan' by Lt. John Greenwood of the 31st Regt. of Foot on his exploits during the 1842 campaign against Cabul.
Excellent reading with a lot of info on officers life and training (of which there seems thave been very little...) during those years in the Indian empire, the horrors along the rode they encountered where Elphinstone's force was destroyed, the endless marches and problems with pack animals and prizes and even some tips on hunting tigers!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

"C is for Cthulu" and wondering if Mrs Pixie would kill me if I printed it out for the wee one for her birthday...

"H is for Hastur, oh no, you've said it!"
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

kipt

Finished "The Battle of Ocana: The Army of Spain's Greatest Victory" by Pierre Juhel and color plates by Peter Bunde.  It is part of the Histoire and Collections series.  It is a translation which misses in some points and reads rough.  The layout is also not of the best.  However, having said that it has much uniform information (but available elsewhere, and I have most if not all already).  It does have the reports from Soult, Mortier and Senarmont, as well as a Spanish report from the Marquis de Zayas.

Overall, it was worth getting.