What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

"Blood never dies", by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. (Enjoying it.)
First book I've listened to for ages. Been using the iPlayer to listen to shorter 'stories' or shows because of having to use the Dremmel so often.
Cheers - Phil

Rob

With Zeal and With Bayonets Only = Mathew H Spring

The British army on campaign in North America, 1775-1783

What a little diamond this book is. It goes into incredible detail about the tactics and their development throughout the war.

paulr

Quote from: Rob on 09 July 2015, 10:31:24 AM
With Zeal and With Bayonets Only = Mathew H Spring

The British army on campaign in North America, 1775-1783

What a little diamond this book is. It goes into incredible detail about the tactics and their development throughout the war.

Anything on the density of trees at Guilford Courthouse? I have seen at least one source that indicates the American second line was in a particularly dense part of the forest. If so I'm trying to work out why :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Scenarios for All Ages by C S Grant and S Asquith for a bit of inspiration for small scale actions. Out of 51 scenarios there are about 45 I could stage.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Rob

Quote from: paulr on 09 July 2015, 09:06:27 PM
Anything on the density of trees at Guilford Courthouse? I have seen at least one source that indicates the American second line was in a particularly dense part of the forest. If so I'm trying to work out why :-\
No. There are no battles analysed as such, the level of analysis is at the fighting level. Guilford Courthouse has 33 entries in the index though. They are used as with other battles to illustrate arguments and illustrations of methods in the books chapters:
1.   British Army tasks
2.   operational constraints
3.   grand tactics
4.   march and deployment
5.   motivation
6.   the advance
7.   commanding the battalion
8.   firepower
9.   the bayonet charge
10.   bushfighting
11.   hollow victories

Cheers, Rob  :)

paulr

Quote from: Rob on 10 July 2015, 09:07:48 AM
No. There are no battles analysed as such, the level of analysis is at the fighting level. Guilford Courthouse has 33 entries in the index though. They are used as with other battles to illustrate arguments and illustrations of methods in the books chapters:
1.   British Army tasks
2.   operational constraints
3.   grand tactics
4.   march and deployment
5.   motivation
6.   the advance
7.   commanding the battalion
8.   firepower
9.   the bayonet charge
10.   bushfighting
11.   hollow victories

Cheers, Rob  :)

10. Sounds like it might talk about what I am interested in
11. Guilford Courthouse is a classic example
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kipt

Finished Norman Friedman's "U.S. Destroyers, Revised Edition".  Large book but more than half is about ships after WWII.  Goes to 2004.  I liked his book on U.S. Cruisers much better.

kipt

Finished Don Troiani's "American Battles, The Art of the Nation at War, 1754 - 1865, featuring the Civil War".  As can be imagined, great paintings.  Good narrative by several well known historians.

Techno

Listening to....."The Bones Beneath", by Mark Billington.....Really enjoying it !
Cheers - Phil

Leman

The Elven, a fantasy novel. Not a bad read for a Kindle freebie, but absolutely no desire to recreate on the tabletop.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chad

Just finished the first book in the 'Lost Fleet' series by Jack Campbell. Good read. Haven't read any scifi in years.
About to start 'The Mongol Empire' by John Mann

Chad

wurrukatte

Nearly finished Jack Campbell's latest Lost fleet book, Leviathan
the series is still going strong.

W

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It gets a bit sameyy later on, but is a worthwhile read.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

"Conqueror", by Conn Iggulden.
About Kulai Khan, apparently....He hasn't turned up yet, though.

Ended up being slightly disappointed with "The Bones Beneath."
Really good 'listen', right up to the end....Then it sort of fizzled out.....I assume the story's to be followed up in another book in the series.  :-\

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The first four in the series are excellent!  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner