What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

FK -
Quoteand mayst contradict Thyself at every turn just because Thou controllest the media and canst prevent anyone from commenting.

Wait, when did Murdoch and Rothermere get deified?

This explains a lot...

Back on topic, I'm up to halfway thru Book 8 of the Wheel of Time (again). Yeah, this is where it really starts to get slow and Jordan meanders round his world, ambling gently away from anything that might be construed as advancing the plot,c haracters or action. For another four books. Until he dies. And they get someone else in to ghostwrite the end!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

I rather liked the gentle amble towards completion by Jordan and Brandon's wrap up worked for me.

That said, I'm playing Skyrim at the moment, my character is level 83 and I've only just started the main story arc. So maybe a kindred spirit :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

Quote from: toxicpixie on 28 May 2015, 02:32:56 PM

Back on topic, I'm up to halfway thru Book 8 of the Wheel of Time (again). Yeah, this is where it really starts to get slow and Jordan meanders round his world, ambling gently away from anything that might be construed as advancing the plot,c haracters or action. For another four books. Until he dies. And they get someone else in to ghostwrite the end!

I read the first four or five of them until I run out of the published ones. I remember buying the rulebook for playing the RPG...and that's it. I reckon I must have lost interest after that. Similar to the ever expanding Game of Thrones series of books and the Heroes TV series, the plots were getting far to complicated, convoluted and uninteresting for me. 

Come back E E Doc Smith and the Lensman series of my not so pyrotechnic and incandescent youth!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

It's a nice world he meanders around and it's all very interesting but he expected a five-six book finish, then a little extension and then it was a publishing gold mine and his contract just kept extending - and it shows. His massive investment in the background and history and happenings pays off in great detail and depth, but from after Lord of Chaos nothing much happens and it happens very slowly...

I like meandering, similar to the Skyrim experience I wandered Morrowind avoiding all hint of plot for weeks but sometimes it gets too much!

EE Doc Smith would probably have written the thirteen WoT books as fifty books but they'd only be about two hundred pages each and crack on like there's no tomorrow :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

kipt

Finished "Napoleon's First Italian Campaign, 1796 -1797".  This is put out by Military History Press and the illustrations are by Keith Rocco with the text from Col RW Phipps.  It is abridged from "The Armies of the First Republic and the Rise of the French Marshals".  I have the Phipps books also and it was good to reread parts with maps added.

A nice history and a display book.

Leman

The Battles of St.Albans in the Pen and Sword Wars of the Roses series.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Opsrey's Essential History of the russian Civil War. Nice read so far and some ideas already for use with my AVBCW forces :).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Leman on 07 June 2015, 07:10:51 PM
The Battles of St.Albans in the Pen and Sword Wars of the Roses series.
You mean the Battle of St Albans and the Street Brawl of St Albans! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

As may be, but not the book title.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Finished "The Social History of the Machine Gun" by John Ellis.

A discussion of why it took so long for the different armies to accept it (tradition, not relevant, stubborn).  However it could be used on "savages" with no apparent feeling or learning.  Civilized people wouldn't be so stupid to charge in mass at the enemy.

A bit better acceptance in the US due to the mechanization of everything over the small craft type manufacturing of the old world.

wurrukatte

Road to Koniggratz by  Q Barry.

Westmarcher

Ploughing my way through the Sharpe series. Reading Sharpe's Sword (only Revenge to read after that and I have completed reading the whole series). Still spotting the odd 'howler' (if you have some knowledge of Napoleonic troop types, organisation and equipment) - e.g., Lossow (a German cavalryman) discussing a French Dragoon, "It's strange, I think, for a Dragoon to have a straight sword. He should have sabre, yes?" Sharpe answers, "True."  Weren't French Dragoons heavy cavalry? Thankfully, Cornwell tells a good story.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

kipt

I am reading Friedrich Engels "Notes on the War" published in the Pall-Mall Gazette, 29 July 1870 - 18 February 1871.

I downloaded this from the internet some time ago and just printed it out to read. Came to 115 pages.

I didn't realize how good of a military reporter Engels was. He does almost a day to day report of the FPW as it was occurring. Battles, commanders, troop strengths, troop and commander quality is all there.

If anyone wants this, send me a note and I will forward it

Jim Ando

Hi

Reading Hell in a small place, again.

I read this book every couple of years and never get tired of it.

If had the choice of one book and one book only on a desert island this would be it.

jim

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!