What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Quote from: Maenoferren on 21 January 2015, 11:26:56 PM
Funnily enough I just read that today..... not sure how as the DVD isnto out for the third episode.. well in the UK

I doubt there's a film ever made that isn't "out" ... if you're not too fussy about the legality (and possibly quality) of the download.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Maenoferren

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 January 2015, 11:49:30 PM
I doubt there's a film ever made that isn't "out" ... if you're not too fussy about the legality (and possibly quality) of the download.
I was thinking more in advertising the fact you had done it...not that clever really
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

kipt

Finished Volume 2 of "Wargaming in History: The War of the Austrian Succession".  After reading volume 8 (Great, great, great...) I decided I needed to acquire all of them.  Volumes 1 and 9 are currently out of print, but the rest may show up for my birthday.

cameronian

Funny I was thinking the same, I've been impressed with what I've read so far, also it will be a good introduction to different periods - not that I'm interested in other periods you understand, purely educational  ;)
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Me sees massive purchases of all sorts of things coming on...

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Invasion 1914. Concentrates on the French and Germans in the early war, so a useful adjunct to Collision of Empires re. the Eastern Front; and it was only 99p on Kindle.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Yes that is a good one...read a few months back.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: Leman on 20 January 2015, 01:49:37 PM
Mrs Figgis of Colosseum Close, Pevensey, was watching a very interesting sailing regatta.

Must have missed that bit.....(Was using the Dremmel a lot last week.)
All I managed to glean from "The Last Conquest" was that there was some b**tard called Norman along with a load of his chums, using Scouts to find stuff out.
The scouts never tied a single knot, so they weren't much cop.
As far as I could tell......Norman's mob were supposed to be French.....But the accents seemed to come from Scotland, Ireland and Birmingham....Most confusing !

Going to start "Arena" by Simon Scarrow & T.J. Andrews next week.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

With all the LOA doing the rounds at the mo I'm surprised we haven't heard more about Williamandmary who was very fond of a nice juicy clementine and painted his navy orange.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SerialLoser

Quote from: Leman on 23 January 2015, 08:48:23 PM
With all the LOA doing the rounds at the mo I'm surprised we haven't heard more about Williamandmary who was very fond of a nice juicy clementine and painted his navy orange.

....and all that?

cbr3d.com

26 January 2015, 03:01:35 PM #985 Last Edit: 26 January 2015, 03:37:36 PM by Fig.ht
Just yesterday picked up my old copy of 'Herodotus The Histories' off the shelf.  Been a few years since I read this first time round at Uni.  OK, well make that quite a few years.   :o

Amazing backdrop to the history of the ancient world and different peoples, habits, and indeed armies.  It is also a bloody good read.   :)

fsn

I have two versions. An old Penguin version that has fallen to bits, and a Kindle version.

Ought to be compulsory reading for everyone.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Crowbarred in "The Three Musketeers", Radio 4's full cast dramatisation, before I start on "Arena".
Nobby would like it.....It's got Milady in it.
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Quote from: fsn on 26 January 2015, 03:31:44 PM
I have two versions. An old Penguin version that has fallen to bits, and a Kindle version.

Ought to be compulsory reading for everyone.   

In Latin - or Greek. Just because it's there....  :P
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kipt

Finished Norman Friedman's "US Cruisers: An Illustrated design History".  Large book (oversize with 496 pages) with facts, number, anecdotes and many pictures.  Very technical but interesting to see the necessary tradeoffs in size, speed, armaments and armor to get to a certain spec.  Also what happened because of the London Treaty before WWII.

Now I want his books on destroyers, battleships and carriers.