What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat major

Reading the Flashman books that I got cheap on the kindle. Great stuff but a tad politically incorrect in places :)
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Techno

Just finished "The Nameless Dead" by Paul Johnston.....Quite enjoyed that....Tho' for once I had problems with 'suspending disbelief' towards the end. Don't know why, as I've enjoyed far more far fetched stuff.
Now listening to "Alex Cross, Run" by James Patterson....Very good, so far.
Cheers - Phil.

cameronian

Quote from: goat major on 18 December 2014, 07:54:29 AM
Reading the Flashman books that I got cheap on the kindle. Great stuff but a tad politically incorrect in places :)

A tad! Gloriously, excessively, magnificently incorrect, just the best.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "Images of War: the Central Powers on the Russian Front 1914 -1918" by David Bilton.

Interesting with a chapter for each year and then numerous photos.  One tidbit I found interesting was the Russian use of Bactrian camels as part of their supply train.

Hertsblue

Just started The Coming of the King by M.C. Scott, another Roman Empire historical epic. Well written and plotted. Unfortunately, I've just realised that it's the middle book of a trilogy. Don't you just hate that when it happens?  :'( :'( :'(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fsn

Yes. I love SF, but hate it when you get "Book 2 of the Third part of the Vexillorium Trilogy set in the Under-Nova Universe"!   >:(

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

skywalker

I have just reread Soul Music by Terry Pratchett.  :D :D

Techno

Quote from: skywalker on 19 December 2014, 12:23:22 PM
I have just reread Soul Music by Terry Pratchett.  :D :D

Love that book !
Cheers - Phil.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 19 December 2014, 12:38:19 PM
Love that book !
Cheers - Phil.

Buggrit, buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp!*

*Translation: I love all of his books :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

wurrukatte

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great book.
Hopefully someone has taken my hint about Dark Intelligence this Xmas!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: wurrukatte on 19 December 2014, 02:04:51 PM
Jupiter War by Neal Asher.

Yes, read that a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness for an author who finishes up a trilogy properly, instead of wittering on into the distance in the hope of cashing in on an increasingly worn-out idea.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Rob

I am currently on my 4th "Waterloo" book of the latest releases. I seem to have such a lot of books published on the subject of Waterloo and usually I am not disappointed with the newer releases as they unearth new evidence. So in reverse order:

The current book is no exception and covers the whole campaign in detail: 'Waterloo'; author Tim Clayton. I am really enjoying this one. Tim really gets into the detail of the events.  8)

Prior to this I read 'NAPOLEON the END OF GLORY'; author Munro Price. Not really a Waterloo book as such but did culminate with Waterloo. An unusual book in that its main content is the political and diplomatic battles of 1813-1815 with the military events as a backdrop. You do see all of the principle actors in a different light with Napoleon being a bit of a clux when it comes to diplomacy with Metternich as the master craftsman. Enjoyed this one and learnt a great deal.  8)

The 2nd of the four was '24 HOURS AT WATERLOO', author Robert Kershaw. Not many books make a big impression on an old codger like me, but this book I think is brilliant. Mr Kershaw has the ability to transport your imagination to particular episodes during the battle and then take you through the experiences of the people that were there. I found it quite exhilarating to be forming up for D'Erlons big attack and later quite destitute and fatalistic as part of Lambert's brigade standing in squares and being cut down by skirmishers and artillery. If you have ever read 'Waterloo a near run thing' by David Howarth, this is a similar diary driven account. But modern research has produced a lot more diary accounts, German, French and British. It is a much bigger book and I would say better written.  8) 8)

The 1st of the four was the only disappointment - 'WATERLOO' Bernhard Cornwall. I found this disappointing because IMHO Mr Cornwall has a way of making the tactics of the period seem stereo-typed and completely predictable with the French being a little dim to keep persisting against the solid British soldier standing in line. There is no new research and it is simply the basic history of the campaign set against a "Sharpe the Hero" type approach to the combat. I couldn't finish the book I am afraid.  :(

Cheers, Rob  :) :)

NTM

I've read the first couple of chapters of the Cornwell book and not too impressed so far either. Asked for it for my birthday last month then found out Robert Kershaw had written a Waterloo book which would probably been a far better option.

Started reading The Bloody Road to Tunis today as background for my project for next year.

cameronian

Quote from: Rob on 20 December 2014, 12:43:32 PM
I am currently on my 4th "Waterloo" book of the latest releases. I seem to have such a lot of books published on the subject of Waterloo and usually I am not disappointed with the newer releases as they unearth new evidence. So in reverse order:

The current book is no exception and covers the whole campaign in detail: 'Waterloo'; author Tim Clayton. I am really enjoying this one. Tim really gets into the detail of the events.  8)

Prior to this I read 'NAPOLEON the END OF GLORY'; author Munro Price. Not really a Waterloo book as such but did culminate with Waterloo. An unusual book in that its main content is the political and diplomatic battles of 1813-1815 with the military events as a backdrop. You do see all of the principle actors in a different light with Napoleon being a bit of a clux when it comes to diplomacy with Metternich as the master craftsman. Enjoyed this one and learnt a great deal.  8)

The 2nd of the four was '24 HOURS AT WATERLOO', author Robert Kershaw. Not many books make a big impression on an old codger like me, but this book I think is brilliant. Mr Kershaw has the ability to transport your imagination to particular episodes during the battle and then take you through the experiences of the people that were there. I found it quite exhilarating to be forming up for D'Erlons big attack and later quite destitute and fatalistic as part of Lambert's brigade standing in squares and being cut down by skirmishers and artillery. If you have ever read 'Waterloo a near run thing' by David Howarth, this is a similar diary driven account. But modern research has produced a lot more diary accounts, German, French and British. It is a much bigger book and I would say better written.  8) 8)

The 1st of the four was the only disappointment - 'WATERLOO' Bernhard Cornwall. I found this disappointing because IMHO Mr Cornwall has a way of making the tactics of the period seem stereo-typed and completely predictable with the French being a little dim to keep persisting against the solid British soldier standing in line. There is no new research and it is simply the basic history of the campaign set against a "Sharpe the Hero" type approach to the combat. I couldn't finish the book I am afraid.  :(

Cheers, Rob  :) :)

If you haven't already, read Alessandro Barbero's 'The Battle', also about waterloo, quite magnificent, the best I've ever read.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.