What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Across a danerous feild looks good as well. Thought AOF was about AWI?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

Just finished "Studies From The Franco Prussian War, 1, The French Imperial Army 1870-71" by Stephen Shann, 1991.  He is the author of the Osprey booklets on the French for the FPW.  Not a long book (other than size) but it has a short paragraph on each Imperial regiment, including artillery and engineers, with the strength of the regiment as of 1 August and its history.  It also lists the colonel of each regiment. There is an OB of all the corps plus the 12th Corps in the back.

Evidently he has also done a study on the Republican troops (1991), as well as books on Wissembourg and Froeschwiller (both 1987).  I would love to get all 3 of these but not in Amazon.  I will need to search around.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kipt

"Studies From The Franco Prussian War, 1, The French Imperial Army 1870-71" by Stephen Shann, 1991.

It appears the book is privately published.  There is no company listed.

I can't find any reference so far for the other books.

kipt

Finished "The Seeds of Disaster The Development of French Army Doctrine, 1919-39" by BG Robert A. Doughty.

The title says it all.  Typically I like books that get into theory but as it turned out it was a bit of a slog.  Probably because it was a book I only read on lunch break.  Took too long to go through.

I did enjoy the sections of the differences of development on battle tanks vs cavalry tanks.  The infantry kept tanks close to them, in theory, but the cavalry people developed a tank to support their old time roles of scouting, harassment and pursuit.

kipt

Finished issue 50 of The Gettysburg Magazine.  Typically the magazine has military  articles.  I believe over the previous 49 issues every brigade, North or South, has been covered.

This issue was about the 3 reunions; 1913, 1939 and 2013.  Personal remembrances rather that military.  I didn't enjoy it.

Leman

Crikey! someone had personal memories of Gettysburg in 2013!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

Does anybody here read non-military books?!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

There are non-military books?  :o

I'm currently reading one of the "In Death" SF crime novels, and I've got a couple of original "Saint" novels queued. I've also got a book about time keeping called "A Short History of Time" on my bedside elephant.

Literary man about town - FSN 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Waiting for Neal Asher's "Dark Intelligence" to be published.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: Last Hussar on 22 November 2014, 05:21:41 PM

Yes, sir.....I do.
Cheers - Phil

Steve J

I read military history, history or travel books. Nothing else seems to grab me these days.

Me - I read Sci-fi, military history, some thrillers and rules.

Currently - Claws of the Bear on the Kindle, The Given Sacrifice in my coat (S.M. Sterling post disaster).

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

France at Bay 1870 1871 - the second in Douglas Fermer's history of the FPW. Once again a book on a subject I thought I knew a lot about which includes events I knew little of after all, such as the events at Chateaudun and the battle of La Bourgance.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Last Hussar on 22 November 2014, 05:21:41 PM

I read sci-fi, crime, general history, thrillers and anything that looks interesting.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net