What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Surely JK Rowling will be a standard  for many years to come?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Harry Pothead and the Philosopher stoned?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

nikharwood

Reading The Three Musketeers for about the bazillionth time. Lovely.  8)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Apart from the twenty paragraphs Dumas spends describing the yellow horse, only for out hero to flog it as soon as he get to Paris!!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Quote from: mad lemmey on 26 September 2014, 05:18:10 PM
Apart from the twenty paragraphs Dumas spends describing the yellow horse, only for out hero to flog it as soon as he get to Paris!!!

True, true  ;D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just finished the last two thirds of 'Flames over Calais' over the last two days, cracking Ww2 read, but my goodness the incompetence of the British High Command in 1940!  :o
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Daisy

Currently re-reading "Wintersmith". Who cannot be enamoured by the Feegles ?! ! Lovely !

Also on the go is the Saga rules..

And "The Great Boer War" by Arthur Conan Doyle. I love his work including of course his fictional detective.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now onto Toby Frost's 'End Of Empires', it's a bit good.

Hertsblue

Now half-way through Secrets of the Conqueror by Stuart Prebble - the story of the nuclear submarine H.M.S. Conqueror, that sank the General Belgrano. Apparently, it did a lot more besides in the Cold War.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kipt

Just finished both of Bruce Weigle's 1859 and 1866 rules (I previously read the 1870 rules).  I am immensely impressed by his writing and logic.  His why and how for the particular rules are very well explained.  The quotes he uses do a great job of illustrating the rules also.

Leman

Just finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follet, mostly set during WWI. So good I haven't picked up a paintbrush for a week. Now halfway through the sequel - rise of the Nazis, Spanish Civil War and WWII. A right riveting read.

mollinary

Quote from: kipt on 03 October 2014, 05:05:59 PM
Just finished both of Bruce Weigle's 1859 and 1866 rules (I previously read the 1870 rules).  I am immensely impressed by his writing and logic.  His why and how for the particular rules are very well explained.  The quotes he uses do a great job of illustrating the rules also.

With you on all the above, Kipt.  A real gent, a master terrain maker and modeller. In fact, as they used to say, a Legend in his own lunchtime!

:D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

I'm not sure about in the UK but in NZ someone who is a "a Legend in his own lunchtime" is someone who thinks they are great but this view is not widely shared  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Yes Paul, it's pretty much the same here, but I must admit that Bruce Weigle has done wonders for the European mid-C19th wars. Even if you're not mad keen on the rules, all the historical, military and organisational information is priceless, and the scenario maps and OOBs are a wargamer's dream come true. His explanation of Austrian tactics in 1866 has not been bettered.

mollinary

Quote from: paulr on 03 October 2014, 07:56:44 PM
I'm not sure about in the UK but in NZ someone who is a "a Legend in his own lunchtime" is someone who thinks they are great but this view is not widely shared  ;)

It was certainly not my intention to imply that, just shows I should avoid using phrases I never properly understood!  :). Bruce is "the business". Oops, there I go again!  ;D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!