What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

probably next book I read will be fiction ~

Jun'ichi Watanabe - Beyond the Blossoming Fields

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Blossoming-Fields-Junichi-Watanabe/dp/1846880785
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

That sounds a cheery read. Think I'll pass up on that one.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Quote from: kipt on 14 September 2014, 04:56:22 AM
Just finished "The Last Gaiter Button: A Study of the Mobilization and Concentration of the French Army in the War of 1870", by Thomas J. Adriance.

Gets into details which is perfect for the campaign I am putting together.
Fascinating, I've never heard of this one, is it a modern work? Have you read Richard Holmes 'The Road to sedan', highly recommended.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

"The Last Gaiter Button" was printed in 1987.  I bought it through Amazon from Jomini6400 (whoever that is).  It is a Greenwood Press print, part of the Contributions of Military Studies, number 73.

I do have Holmes, as well as "The Siege of Paris" noted previously.

kipt

Finished "US Navy Dreadnoughts, 1914-45", an Osprey.  Interesting history of the old dreadnoughts.

Leman

Neil Thomas, One Hour Wargames. Looks like it could generate some good games.

Poggle

Catastrophe 1914: Europe goes to war, by Max Hastings. An interesting read.  :-\

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Allenby's War - The Palestine-Arabian Campaigns, 1916-1948 by David L Bullock

Just starting but fascinating so far.

Thanks for the loan Peter :)

Hence my questions here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10617.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

cameronian

'Quiet Flows the Don' by Mikhail Sholokov. Good story about Don Cossacks during WWI. Written in Soviet times by an 'approved' writer, his political asides (the Tsar's insipid daughters etc) are grating, however its a good insight into Cossack life and gives a flavour of the campaign in the east. The sequel 'The Don Flows Home to the Sea' deals mostly with the civil war.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Quiet Flows the Don is the film of the two books combined. Rocks along at a good pace, and a couple of good 1914 battle scenes of cossacks charging A-H infantry and cossacks attacking A-H hussars who are trying to make off with a Russian gun. Some pretty harrowing scraps in the Civil War section, and it is a very long film. It's in English and stars Rupert Everett.

cameronian

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 20 September 2014, 01:57:01 PM
Quiet Flows the Don is the film of the two books combined. Rocks along at a good pace, and a couple of good 1914 battle scenes of cossacks charging A-H infantry and cossacks attacking A-H hussars who are trying to make off with a Russian gun. Some pretty harrowing scraps in the Civil War section, and it is a very long film. It's in English and stars Rupert Everett.
Ah, didn't know that. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Leman