What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

Just finished re-reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova: beautifully written; am now on to The Swan Thieves (also by her) - again, beautiful prose  8)

Chad

Ploughing my way through Max Hasting's '1914'. Excellent read. Never realised how many useless officers there were at all levels in all armies.

Chad

Leman

Good isn't it. I've just read about how crap we were at Heligoland Bight and we still won!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chad

It was a surprise to learn that in the first French assaults
of the war they actually suffered more casualties than the
British on the first day of the Somme.

Chad

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Not really - tactics used by the French were appalling.  Despite the impressions the Somme isn't particularly bad, it's 37% of the troops involved, the average for that type of operation was 33%. There is also the nature of casualty reporting. The Germans often falsified theirs, and did not include lots of minor stuff the British did. The Russian may well not of known what theirs were.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Tell that to my great uncle Tommy who's scattered all over the place around Mammetz.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Just finished Ian Robertson's "An Atlas of the Peninsular War".  Well done with good maps.  Helped me understand the battles in the Pyrenees better.

mollinary

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 01 August 2014, 04:22:43 PM
Tell that to my great uncle Tommy who's scattered all over the place around Mammetz.

As is my Great Uncle Norman, a volunteer barbed wire cutter on July 1st, with one of the Pals Battalions of the Manchester Regiment.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Finished "Vespasian" (Tribune of Rome).....Was damn excellent (Thanks again, Ray !)
Now on to "Warrior of Rome" (The Wolves of the North) by Harry Sidebottom.

Enjoying it so far.....Though I was a bit put off by some of the names of the characters....(Maybe it was the way the reader was pronouncing them, to start with).
Not quite Sillius Soddus & Biggus Dikkus......But.......Close enough to wonder whether I was listening to a spoof, early on.

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

After being slightly mauled when I suggested that Greek warriors may have used spears underhand rather than overhand, I was gratified to see that Lindybeige had made a video expressing far better than I the same points. I know this doesn't sound like it should be in this thread, but it does follow from my previous posts. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYN0UCUkXQE

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

What, the top 10 anti-religious comedy routines? Hilarious, but Ancient Greek?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

But with a phalanx you are locked into the shields of the guys on either side of you. There is no room for manueover. You clashed shield to shield with your opponent, the only space was over a handed thrust between shield tops into the faces of the rank behind.
A thousand Greek vases can't be wrong...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Sending fsn a friendly and reassuring hug. Had no intention of even appearing to be trying to attempt to have a go at mauling him.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 August 2014, 01:54:50 AM
Sending fsn a friendly and reassuring hug. Had no intention of even appearing to be trying to attempt to have a go at mauling him.

>:<
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!