Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Perhaps there's a cream that can ease that?  :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: ianrs54 on 10 March 2014, 08:00:44 AM
Yes I've got a clay kindle.

IanS

Must make turning the pages a little problematical.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Quote from: Hertsblue on 10 March 2014, 08:23:58 AM
Must make turning the pages a little problematical.

I think I may have posted the link before but here's the Help Desk solving a "paging" problem :)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

Just finished reading Field Grey by Phillip Kerr about Bernie Gunther a 1930's Berlin policeman though the story jumps back and forward between then and 1954...loads of books in the series .....highly recommended
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

cameronian

I discovered him a few months ago and read the entire series in a fortnight, not great literature but definitely page turning stuff with lots of fascinating little snippets of history thrown in.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Hertsblue

Literature = all those books the critics laud but which no one can be bothered to read.  :d
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

burnaby64

Just finished 'Happy Odyssey', the memoirs of General Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart, VC. He was twice wounded in the 2nd Boer War, lost an eye in Somaliland, was wounded several times, including the loss of a hand, in the Great War, and survived a crash-landing in the sea and became a POW in Italy in the Second World War. He served as a model for Brigadier Ben Ritchie-Hook in Waugh's 'Sword of Honour' trilogy. He headed the British Military Mission during the Polish-Soviet War where he was a great success with the Polish officer corps since, as Norman Davies puts it, 'he was wealthy, aristocratic, cosmopolitan, Catholic, heroic, and indefatigably foolhardy.'  The memoirs make a fascinating read and you have to admire the old-fashioned modesty of the man: he does not once mention his VC.

Fenton

Just finished Raising Steam by T Pratchett...bit disappointed I think this the third or 4th book in a row now by him I havnt actually laughed at during any part of the book
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Fenton on 15 March 2014, 09:55:27 AM
Just finished Raising Steam by T Pratchett...bit disappointed I think this the third or 4th book in a row now by him I havnt actually laughed at during any part of the book

Even struggling with early-onset Alzheimer's disease he writes a better yarn than most. The recent books were amusing rather than laugh-out-loud funny but I still enjoyed them immensely.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

get2grips

They are getting darker...

Started off silly...
Then became funny with a hint of social conscience...
Now dark with puns.

Funny though, I've loved every stage :-\

marie

still Mr Selfridge......too busy painting...

Techno

"How the Light gets in"....By Louise Penny.
Apparently the ninth and final (?) book in a series about corruption in a section of the Canadian police force. (Fiction)
Pity.....It's been rather good.....But now I know how al the loose knots from the earlier stories tie together, I wouldn't want to listen to them. ;)
Cheers - Phil.

burnaby64

Just started Mike Rapport's '1848: Year of Revolution.' So far a lively, detailed read. Best anecdote thus far concerns a Spanish exponent of militarist reaction who, on his death-bed, was urged by his confessor to forgive all his enemies. 'I don't have any,' he replied, 'I've had them all shot.'

FierceKitty

Quote from: Maj Gen von Wedel-Wedelsborg on 16 March 2014, 02:45:24 PM
Just started Mike Rapport's '1848: Year of Revolution.' So far a lively, detailed read. Best anecdote thus far concerns a Spanish exponent of militarist reaction who, on his death-bed, was urged by his confessor to forgive all his enemies. 'I don't have any,' he replied, 'I've had them all shot.'

I've always been taken with Macchiavelli's deathbed scene:

Priest: My son, do you renounce the devil and all his works?
Macchiavelli: Father, this is no time to be making enemies.

Almost worth becoming a Catholic to have a parting shot like that to look forward to.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.