What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 09 March 2014, 11:07:18 AM
Techno,Maybe Rosemary Sutcliffe's 'Eagle of The Nineth' may be more apt as you do them and finish the Picts!

Only if I can get it as a talking book, Will...I can only listen  when I'm pushing putty about...But I have got my own copy of 'Clavdivs' now.....I'll soon be playing that again. ;)

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

clibinarium

Quote from: Techno on 09 March 2014, 12:21:36 PM
Only if I can get it as a talking book, Will...I can only listen  when I'm pushing putty about...But I have got my own copy of 'Clavdivs' now.....I'll soon be playing that again. ;)

Cheers - Phil.

Snap! I really can't work unless I have something to listen to, and its a great way to read things I otherwise wouldn't have time to. I am on book 3 of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy this morning, its huge and has been keeping me going for a few weeks now.

Fenton

Clib

I am not sure if you know this but N.I libraries have loads of audio books online
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

LibriVox.org is great for being read lots of old books.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

get2grips

"Legions of Rome: The definitive history of every Roman legion."  Stephen Dando-Collins

Does what it says really: the history of EVERY Roman legion from creation to disbandment or destruction: awesome.  Also includes a study of Roman unit organisation.

Got it on my Kindle for £1.99!!!  Bargain :)

Fenton

Our local library gives us access to this

http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=rb.ocd

though I am sure its available throughout the UK
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Sounds (ahem  :-[) interesting gang !
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Oh sorry, Techno. You know your wax cylinders? Well they now do them as plate like things for the new fashioned phonograph. Then, they took them and made them smaller and used a type of magic called "laser" to put them onto little disks. This was by converting the sound into a lot of little one and zeros, it's called digitised. Now, they don't even need the compact disks, and you can get the digitised sounds on your computer. You can buy books being read by people at a number of sites on the world wide web at places like Amazon. You can also get them free on LibriVox. You can get a copy of them on your computer. 

Conmputer? Well you know your typewriter ...
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

get2grips

;D ;D ;D

=O =O =O

;D ;D ;D

He has a point...you are like...really really...erm...well...mature :D

Techno

I could really, really go off some people. :P ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil (Black book time for the pair of you.)

Fenton

Is that the same balck book you had last year Phil? Your chisel must be starting to wear out  by now, FSN could tell you about papyrus if you wanted,its the up and coming medium I hear

get2grips

Quote from: Fenton on 09 March 2014, 07:49:43 PM
Is that the same balck book you had last year Phil? Your chisel must be starting to wear out  by now, FSN could tell you about papyrus if you wanted,its the up and coming medium I hear

Nah, wax tablet.  I've heard he's a dab hand with the stylus :D

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

I've got hundreds of tablets.......They're a bit small to write on though.

Quote from: Fenton on 09 March 2014, 07:49:43 PM
Is that the same balck book you had last year Phil? Your chisel must be starting to wear out  by now, FSN could tell you about papyrus if you wanted,its the up and coming medium I hear.

Still the same one, Steve......I'm using the big bit of bluestone that some old friends left lying about near here a little while a go..(seems like only yesterday)...They said they were going to build something big and impressive, but that the one I'm chipping away at, was surplus to requirements.
Dunno what happened to the other lumps they gouged out.

Cheers - Phil