What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

Quote from: Techno on 31 December 2013, 02:28:28 PM
Definitely Cam.....But I couldn't stop listening.....It was so well done......In many respects far too well.....Although fiction, it was very uncomfortable (to say the least)....Certainly as I was assuming a lot of the 'plot' was 'lifted' from real events/happenings.

Cheers - Phil.

I know what you mean Phil, morbidly compelling, when the crewman got shot in the face with the phozzy shell I had to leave the room.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Techno

I think morbidly compelling sums it up perfectly Cam.

Having not done any checking before I started listening, I couldn't be sure that I wasn't listening to a dramatized version of true events.....
Took a little while before I was fully sure that it WAS just a 'made up' story.
What (I assume) were non actors (RAF & Luftwaffe crew/pilots....also civilians) chipping in with their own memories of wartime horrors, every so often, gave it a dreadfully realistic feel.

Cheers - Phil.

cameronian

Phil were you aware that it was first broadcast in 'real time' starting early in the morning and finishing late at night?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Techno

Hi Cam.

Yes.... That bit I did read from the cover plate. :)
I'm guessing that that made it even more compelling !
There was no 'real time' for me when I listened to it....and that was 'bad enough' !

Cheers - Phil.

marie

Techno

Gave up trying to listen to "The October List" by Jeffery Dever.......
'Cos it's done backwards......You start with the last chapter and then go on (back ?) to the previous chapter.....and then again...and again until you get to how the story 'started'.

That is.... the last chapter you listen to is really the first chapter in the story.
Confused ?.....I was.

Cheers - Phil.

goat major

So did you fail to finish it or fail to start it ?  :-\
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Techno

Well....I listened to the last/first chapter.....(No.36, I think).....Then went on (backwards ?) to chapter 35.....Then lost interest completely.  =) =)
Cheers - Phil.

get2grips

Quote from: Techno on 03 February 2014, 08:49:31 PM

That is.... the last chapter you listen to is really the first chapter in the story.
Confused ?.....I was.

Similar to "Times Arrow" (Martin Amis).

Told via reverse chronology; it's the stroy of a Nazi concentration camp "doctor".  Very powerful, if utterly disturbing read.  Highy recommended.

Techno

I'm sure it could be made to work.....I just thought the 'last' chapter wasn't much of a finale anyway.
It seemed more like it should have been the penultimate chapter.
So it was never going to work...for me, at least.
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Finally finished Not Ordinary Men, the story of the Siege of Kohima in 1944. What intrigued me was to find that the campaign was by no means done and dusted when Kohima was relieved. There followed months of arduous "winkling-out" of isolated Japanese garrisons from ingeniously constructed bunkers, after which the battalions of 7th Indian and 2nd Divisions were reduced in some cases to under two hundred men. And all in the unrelenting downpour of an Indo-Burmese monsoon.  :o :o :o 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kustenjaeger

Greetings

A mix of Norman Stone's 'The Eastern Front 1914-1917', Showalter's book 'Tannenberg Clash of Empires' and Golovine's (translated) 'The Russian Campaign of 1914'.

Regards

Edward

Techno

Just finished listening to "The Sparrows of Sycamore Road."
Should have bee put off by the cover when I borrowed it.....But as it was set during the Blitz, I thought it might have been OK.
Ooops !.....Somewhat (Oh, all right, FAR too) twee for my liking.....
"And they all lived happily ever after.".....Sort of !
Passed a few hours I suppose. (:| (:| (:|
Cheers - Phil

cameronian

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 05 February 2014, 01:41:07 PM
Greetings

A mix of Norman Stone's 'The Eastern Front 1914-1917', Showalter's book 'Tannenberg Clash of Empires' and Golovine's (translated) 'The Russian Campaign of 1914'.

Regards

Edward

If this is your period don't forget Solzenitzyn's 'August 1914', fantastic.

DaveL

Hi.  Just finished Scarrow's  "Arena".  Brilliant.  Also just read Cornwell's  "Pagan Lord"  Again, a very good read.

Have now started the first of 5 books about "Marius' Mules" - Roman Army in the time of Caesar.  Read about 100 pages, and so far very IMPRESSED.

Best Wishes   DaveL