What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

Half way through Max Hastings "Catastrophe" and I am enjoying it  :)

Steve J

The Fighting Wessex Wyverns by Patrick Delaforce. Just started it and as with his other books very good so far. I bought a load of others for my 50th birthday treat, so have a nice stack waiting to be started over Xmas and into the New Year :).

brummie76

I'm reading Sharpes Tiger (again) and Jullllian Stockwins "Kydd" series..... with a splattering of Voices from WW1, A great book you can read at any point from any page!

Techno

Listening to 'Realm' by James Jackson....Set around the time of Armada.
Really enjoying it
Cheers - Phil.

goat major

The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard. Wonderful stuff !
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Russell Phillips

Quote from: goat major on 14 December 2013, 08:00:59 AM
The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard. Wonderful stuff !

I really enjoyed the Brigadier Gerard stories. :-D They are great fun.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk
Russell Phillips
Books and articles about military technology and history
www.rpbook.co.uk

Hertsblue

Half way through Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre, the story behind the "Man Who Never Was" deception. The circumstances behind the fiction were even more involved and fantastic than the film could ever hope to show and reinforce the old truism that people believe what they want to believe.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

I am reading Master and God by Lindsey Davies  ...not a Falco one but really good story set in the time of Domitian

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

cameronian

Rothenberg's 'The Army of Francis Joseph' and Henderson's 'Worth' (both Christmas presents from wife and children but if you wait until they've gone to bed, then verrrrry carefully peel the selotape away from the bottom corner ... )
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

marie

Mr Selfridge...sauce without chips....a must read,
also reading...In search of the Dark Ages-Michael Wood...

Malbork

Fenton wrote:
QuoteI am reading Master and God by Lindsey Davies  ...not a Falco one but really good story set in the time of Domitian

Have to say I thought it was one of the worst books I've read  :( Not patch on the early Falco novels. 

The "fly" chapter more or less finsihed it for me :o

Fenton

Well I would agree its not as good as the Falco books but its an interesting way of giving an overview of the history of the period

I wonder how the Falco's daughter informer books will be received or are there just to many Roman detectives about now
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Malbork

I think you're probably right - the ancient detective world is getting a little ovepopulated.

One of the ones I like is Gordianus the Finder in the Roma sub Rosa series.  Worth checking out if you like toga'd sleuths  :)

Fenton

17 December 2013, 02:14:24 PM #403 Last Edit: 17 December 2013, 02:16:46 PM by Fenton
I still like the Marylin Todd Books as well as David Wishart. The Medicus books by Ruth Downie are good as well

The Gordianus ones aren't bad just dont like the character

I quite like the Rosemary Rowe ones as well

DaveL

Keane's Company by Ian Gale.  Very good and some insight into a relatively unknown aspect of the Peninsular War - the spy network. And a good story to boot.

DaveL