BIG NEWS! Please read!

Started by Leon, 25 March 2012, 04:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagger

Quote13 weeks unpaid holiday

In America, they call it a temporary layoff.  Although I must admit, it does sound better if you call it an unpaid holiday.

Luddite

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 02 April 2012, 01:44:33 PM
Add Public Employees to that list and it would be complete...  ;)

>:(

What, like nurses, bin men, road maintenance crews, streetsweepers, teachers, border / customs security, armed forces personnel, police, fire brigade, environmental protection officers, judges, ambulance drivers, prison wardens, community organisers, local council administrators, child protection officers.

Are those the 'parasites' you mean?

Those people that keep the country going, you mean?

Those people who CONTRIBUTE to the social fabric we all take for granted you mean?

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: mad lemmey on 02 April 2012, 02:50:00 PM
Remember us teachers come under the description of public employees too! If I wasn't on two of my 13 weeks unpaid holiday this year I might get upset!  ;D
madlemmey
enjoy Easter everyone!  ;)

As a school librarian I am also a public employee ; I see it as a way of getting some of my income tax back. (and having the 13 weeks hols of course)
8)

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Luddite on 02 April 2012, 04:47:43 PM
>:(

What, like nurses, bin men, road maintenance crews, streetsweepers, teachers, border / customs security, armed forces personnel, police, fire brigade, environmental protection officers, judges, ambulance drivers, prison wardens, community organisers, local council administrators, child protection officers.

Are those the 'parasites' you mean?

Those people that keep the country going, you mean?

Those people who CONTRIBUTE to the social fabric we all take for granted you mean?

Just using your own definition old chap "An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.".... Public employees taking my hard earned income as tax.... (and you missed out librarians from your list)

Orcs

Quote from: Nosher on 30 March 2012, 08:35:43 AM
"There'll be a female presence at this one... "

"When I was knocking up the list of things we'll need at the unit, she added a dustpan and brush when I wasn't looking."

Did she also cross out the entry for Totty Calendar?

Perhaps you should ask her to pose for the Totty thread, or the Unlikely Totty Thread - whichever you feel is most appropriate?    ;D ;D

Not that I'm rying to get you in trouble :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Luddite

02 April 2012, 06:45:51 PM #80 Last Edit: 02 April 2012, 06:57:26 PM by Luddite
Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 02 April 2012, 05:01:39 PM
Just using your own definition old chap "An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.".... Public employees taking my hard earned income as tax.... (and you missed out librarians from your list)

Not talking biology here old boy.  I meant the second definition:

'A person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.'

:-B ;)

And if you're a librarian, i wish you all the best sir.  Hopefully your temple of knowledge isn't in your local authority's front line of cuts.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.  - Cicero'

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Luddite on 02 April 2012, 06:45:51 PM
Not talking biology here old boy.  I meant the second definition:

'A person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.'

:-B ;)

And if you're a librarian, i wish you all the best sir.  Hopefully your temple of knowledge isn't in your local authority's front line of cuts.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.  - Cicero'

In which case, Mon Vieux, we are in accord.

In my case, I am still employed, but at 15 percent less lucre...

Luddite

That sucks Ben, but i suppose it could be worse.

Jagger

Nothing more dangerous than talking politics, except maybe religion.

Unfortunately, my retirement plan just went down the drain.  I forgot to buy a ticket to that 260 million dollar lottery someone won a day or two back.  So back to the salt mines, folks.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Luddite

Quote from: Jagger on 03 April 2012, 02:05:14 AM

Agreed.

The problem is there's nothing worth discussing except politics and religion.  And of course the Tarleton Mk.I Aztec tank.   ;D

mollinary

Ben,

You are, of course, absolutely right. We public employees deserve everything we get. These days I cannot even look myself in the mirror anymore. Mind you that is more to do with the ravages of time,  chips and alcohol!  Still, I'll stop sponging off all you hard working souls soon enough, and retire to that tax haven in the sun!

Regards,

Mollinary the Fat Cat, persecutor of the proletariat, and first against the wall when the revolution comes (but you'd better get a move on).
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Phobos

Quote from: Jagger on 03 April 2012, 02:05:14 AM

Unfortunately, my retirement plan just went down the drain.  I forgot to buy a ticket to that 260 million dollar lottery someone won a day or two back.  So back to the salt mines, folks.

In Spain, taboo themes are religion, politics, local history (specially, SCW, believe me) and bullfighting.

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: mollinary on 03 April 2012, 07:37:07 PM
Ben,

You are, of course, absolutely right. We public employees deserve everything we get. These days I cannot even look myself in the mirror anymore. Mind you that is more to do with the ravages of time,  chips and alcohol!  Still, I'll stop sponging off all you hard working souls soon enough, and retire to that tax haven in the sun!

Regards,

Mollinary the Fat Cat, persecutor of the proletariat, and first against the wall when the revolution comes (but you'd better get a move on).

If you want a microcosm of class warfare - us downtrodden Support Staff workers and peasants being ground under the feet of the money bags Bourgeois Teacher Toffs  has it all....

Womble67

Hi there I would just like to wish you all the best on your new move.

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!