BIG NEWS! Please read!

Started by Leon, 25 March 2012, 04:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 30 June 2012, 02:20:08 PM
What is that grim back smear to your north-east?  It looks more like a forest fire than anything.

That's Mordor... (see WIP unit pics!)  ;)

I'm guessing it's the smoke from the industrial works out the back.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

You really should be at unit 3D ;).

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

Quote from: Leon on 30 June 2012, 03:05:06 PM
I'm guessing it's the smoke from the industrial works out the back.

Talk about your dark satanic mills.  I hope the wind don't shift.

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 02 July 2012, 04:05:40 AM
Talk about your dark satanic mills.  I hope the wind don't shift.

30-40 years ago you wouldn't have been able to see half of Middlesbrough on that satellite photo!  We used to be one of the key steel producing areas of the world, Teesside Steel was used to build the Sydney Harbour Bridge!   8)

Unfortunately, a lot of the industry disappeared over the years, although they have just reopened the steelworks again this year, bringing a lot of much-needed jobs back into the region.

Ben Waterhouse

Teeside still makes the best metal in the world... only slightly smaller.....

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 02 July 2012, 07:56:38 AM

:D :D :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 02 July 2012, 07:56:38 AM

;D
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

far4ngn

Aaah pictures of home :)  I'll have to call in next August.

Leon

Sandinista

Quote from: Leon on 02 July 2012, 04:11:12 AM
30-40 years ago you wouldn't have been able to see half of Middlesbrough on that satellite photo!  We used to be one of the key steel producing areas of the world, Teesside Steel was used to build the Sydney Harbour Bridge! 
The area was decimated in the eighties, some areas of Middlesbrough when I left school had over 90% male unemployment. The year I left school was the first year the areas main employers British Steel and ICI did not take on apprentices. Bleak was not the word. In the end most of the lads I grew up with moved out of the area for work, I'm still in London.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

nikharwood

Could be worse - you could be on Merseyside  ;) :P :d

far4ngn

I left school in 1983, I was the only kid in my class to get a job after applying for over 150 jobs with enclosing a Stamped Addressed Envelope just to try and get a reply haha.  Even the ICI apprentices were eventually paid off..some coming to our little company.

I worked for an electrical contracting company working in heavy industry... so all those chemicals and British Steel metal dust and other crap in my lungs will probably catch up with me  >:(

Still love coming back and seeing how things have changed.

Ben Waterhouse

I went South when I was eighteen, not a lot of prospects in Dewsbury in 1978...