Armour Decals

Started by Hertsblue, 21 February 2012, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Need the correct (well, as correct as possible) decals for my 14th Army Lee tanks. I assumed that Pendraken would stock something suitable, but I've scoured the site and the Minibits site and come up empty . So, where do I go?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Sorry to be negative - but as far as brigade markings I think you are going to be a bit stuck. The red tac flash should be fndable, since the British forces regularly changed these. Squadron tac markings (carried less often than people think) will be standard.
Try Doms Decals as a starter   
Luck

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Cheers, Ian. Much obliged.

www.rulesdepot.net

Gandalf

Have you seen the rivets on that?

fred.

The  British Armoured Divison sheet from Minifigs is very good.  It has Arm of Service markings, squadron symbols, white stars, bridge markings. The only thing that is a bit weak is divisional markings, as there are no were near enough to go with all the other markings.

Doms Decals are good but are mainly 15mm and Division and Arm of Service are too big for 10mm vehicles.

I'm not sure what markings 14th army used, but by 1944 markings in NW Europe had been standardised. See my web page here for 7th Armoured Div http://www.kerynne.com/games/British7thArmouredDivision.html
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Hertsblue

www.rulesdepot.net

Muist admit didnt work for me either.....

Ian S
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Found some useful info at www.fireandfury.com/painting/burmaarmypaintingguide.pdf.

I'm aiming to do 149th RAC (or part of it at any rate) as they actually relieved Kohima.

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

I've not seen the red over yellow Arm of Service markings before. I don't think they are available on a commercially produced 10mm decal sheet.

It's not too hard to produce your own, blank decal paper is available from eBay either clear or white. White produces brighter colours, but needs cutting out very neatly. In the past I have used a colour laser printer as then the printing is water proof which isn't always the case with ink jet printers.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gandalf

Quote from: Hertsblue on 22 February 2012, 09:22:16 AM
Can't seem to get that one to come up, Gandalf
Odd but it work's fine on my computer.  Try going to the Minifigs site and look in 12mm World War II on the "transfers" tab
Have you seen the rivets on that?

fred.

Strange, worked for me last night, but not now. Navigating in from the home page works though.

Hertsblue

Quote from: fred  12df on 22 February 2012, 05:21:01 PM
I've not seen the red over yellow Arm of Service markings before. I don't think they are available on a commercially produced 10mm decal sheet.

It's not too hard to produce your own, blank decal paper is available from eBay either clear or white. White produces brighter colours, but needs cutting out very neatly. In the past I have used a colour laser printer as then the printing is water proof which isn't always the case with ink jet printers.

I might just crank up the old Samsung and try that, Fred. I'm always preaching self-sufficiency, after all.

Quote from: Gandalf on 22 February 2012, 07:27:03 PM
Odd but it work's fine on my computer.  Try going to the Minifigs site and look in 12mm World War II on the "transfers" tab

Yeah, that's what I did eventually. They seem very expensive for what they are.  :(

Ray

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

The scale specialties sheets aren't cheap. The British NWE one is good as it has loads on it, but the British western desert one is quite sparse.

If you are going to have a go at making your own,be sure to do some test prints on plain paper to check you have the sizing right.

Steve J

Thanks for the Fire and Fury link Hertsblue, very useful :).

Hertsblue

Quote from: fred  12df on 23 February 2012, 05:10:25 PM
The scale specialties sheets aren't cheap. The British NWE one is good as it has loads on it, but the British western desert one is quite sparse.

If you are going to have a go at making your own,be sure to do some test prints on plain paper to check you have the sizing right.

Yes, I've tried that already. The little devils are surprisingly tiny!

Incidentally, the 254th Armoured Brigade, to which these units belonged, was an Indian Army formation. This may explain why the tac-signs seem unfamiliar.  :-\

www.rulesdepot.net