What Colour Horses?

Started by DanJ, 26 November 2011, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJ

I was browsing in my local artshop this morning and decided to try a new colour for my cavalry, normally I use Windsor and Newton burnt umber for most horses in a unit with the odd grey, black or cream for variation but wanted something lighter and more "chestnutty".  I've spent years looking but can't find a suitable shade, my latest try this morning was Windsor and Newton burnt sienna which is ok but not great, just too red for my taste, any suggestions for a true "chestnut" brown or am I just being picky?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Coat D'Arms Chestnut Horse shade is superb, but a little watery!
Wash it with Windsor & Newton Sewia ink - DONE!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

wargamesbob

If you want a really nice chestnut colour try mixing a little bright green (snot green) and scarlet (blood red). Adding more red to the mix will lighten it, more green will darken it.   

nikharwood

Vallejo Dark Fleshtone works for me

Leman

You could always try Miniature Paints 84 - Chestnut Brown. I have also used, very successfully, Model Color 70875 Beige Brown washed with Winsor and Newton Peat Brown ink.
DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

NTM

Can't give a specific colour but I'd suggest looking at the craft paints such as DecoArt which contain a bewildering variety of browns, thare has to be one that works. Just try to ignore the silly names, burnt cinnamon, cafe mocha etc. Actually burnt cinnamon may be worth a try.

DanJ

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to start experimenting.

I've been painting horses for a long time an have been happy with most of them being burnt umber but 3 chestnut brown horses were in a field near where I live and they were all virtually the colour of ripe horse chestnuts, especially when the sun shone on them.